Pumpkin Ale Recipe Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Ike really screwed us up down here in Southeast Texas, and that included my beer brewing schedule. We've finally got power restored to almost everyone, and I'm ready to get back after it. So I'm brewing my first pumpkin ale, a little bit later than I originally planned. I cobbled together a recipe and wanted some opinions:

7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.25 lb Special B Malt (
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%]
1.00 oz Hallertauer [2.50%]
2.00 tsp Cinnamon (Boil 5.0 min)
2.00 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min)
2.00 lb Pumpkin, Canned (Boil 20.0 min)
2.00 lb Pumpkin, Canned (Secondary 2.0 weeks)
1.00 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM)
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400)

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Color: 19.4 SRM
Bitterness: 17.4 IBU

My issues are these:
1) Should I use pumpkin during the boil, during secondary, or both? I've done fruit beers by adding to the secondary, but I did my peanut butter beer by adding to the boil.
2) I considered also using Cardamon and Cloves as spices, but I think that might be too complicated and overpower the goal, which is a pumpkin flavor.
3) Any other yeasts to recommend? I've used the Belgian Wit many times, since I seem to end up making odd beers a lot. It's great for my Christmas ale, among others, so it seems a good fit here as well.
4) More or less malt and hops? I think hitting around 6% ABV is reasonable, and again, don't want to overpower the pumpkin flavor with too much hoppiness.

Thanks for any input and suggestions!

I too have used Yuri's TSPA. I did the AG back in Jan and I plan to taste one tonight. 22oz bomber, should be good now. It was good last time I drank one in July, but for this I recommend a bit of a rest...a month will not work. Plan on a few.

I went with 1/2tsp clove, 1tsp nutmeg, and 2tsp cinnamon. This beer wins the award for all-time best smelling fermentation. :D

Back