The brewer's toolbox : tackling storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfsp

Reaction score
Mash paddle
Racking cane
Wine thief
Immersion chiller

A brewer's tool set contains many an item that does not fit in most container. The problem of sanitizing long paddles was already solved by using a cheap plastic windowbox. However, I haven't found an easy way to store all my equipment except in a corny keg sized cardboard box which is far from great.

The ideal toolbox would be :
  • -Cheap (because I am)
  • -Made of plastic because it's light and easy to sanitize (spray some Star San and forget it, no metal rusting or wood pores absorbing)
  • -Long enough for at least the paddles
  • -And with small compartments for your pH strips and pill sized boxes of nutrients, etc.

What are your storage solutions ?

I live in a loft and have very little storage. Plus I take my gear out a lot to do brew demos anf group brews. So I needed a way to store all those odd bits that I need in the course of a brew day, PLUS be able to work out of it, and get to everything when I'm brewing in some pretty rudimentry conditions, plus protect stuff from the elements.

I started with an under the bed storage bit, that seals up. I measured my auto siphon and made sure that it is long enough to fit. (Yes it says Revvy's brewing box on it.)

154178_472413849066_620469066_5721746_4019180_n.jpg

Then I got a bunch of different containers and played with the setup. When I got what I liked I used velcro to connect them to the bin. I can re configure it in any way I want, as long as I make sure the new internal bin has velcro in the center. The little dots work perfectly.

69507_472594249066_620469066_5724320_1846987_n.jpg

The blue one in the bottom, holding the mash paddle, refractometer, auto siphon, aeration wand and other longish stuff is simply a wall paper tray that had seen better days, so I cut it in half and slid the pieces together until I got the size I wanted and then taped them together.

65854_472594469066_620469066_5724324_7851014_n.jpg

The box on the left holds my scale, airlocks, a timer, and can hold a bottle of starsan. (There is also a "tasting cup" on a lanyard for group brew days like AHC's teach a friend to brew, where I know there's going to be a TON of beer to sample, and I want to limit my intake, at least while I'm brewing. So I keep my portions small)

68185_472594709066_620469066_5724327_2859858_n.jpg

The center section is actually two boxes that stack and lock together. In the bottom is a basic "tool" kit...a multi tool, small pliers, flashlight, pair of scissors for openning hop and yeast packets. You know all the little things that you find you wish you had in the field. Even a small first aid kit.

The box above is actually pre-measured test tubes of starsan (I usually don't take a bottle with me in the field, I just pre measure a bunch of tubes, so whether I'm making a gallon or 5 I have enough. There's also the stir bar, and some little metal clips I use to hang one of my glass lab thermometers inside the boil kettle when heating strike water.

69716_472594834066_620469066_5724329_1454509_n.jpg

The last box is where I stick "ingredients" and stuff in, hops, a baggie of 5-2 buffer, corn sugar, lactose, whatever else I might need.

Also looking back in the main picture, in the space above the blue tray and the box my red oxygen bottle, and hydrometer test jar fits nicely in.

And what you don't see is that on top of everything I keep a pair of silicone gloves to use to lift my boil kettle;

Orka_glove_large2.jpg

And a couple HBT signs for representing at various events. You can see those in the first two pictures.

When travelling I keep the box closed with a couple of bungy cords.

It's nice because it fits under my bed and in the back seat of my car.

I manage to store all my gear and fermenters in pretty tight space.

Velcro is my storage trick. This is my "brew closet" in the main room, the coats are waay over on the right, and bottle boxes are stacked below.

brewcloset2.jpg

brewcloset1.jpg

I have been looking for the same thing, since I like to have everything in one nice organized area. I currently have all the long stuff in a bucket, but that really is a pain when you want to use the bucket. I end up taking everything out and putting it all over the house. It's sits there for an extended amount of time as the bucket always needs to completely dry before putting everything back.... I think you get the point.

Have you looked at any toolboxes at home depot? I was looking at them the other day for other storage ideas buy didn't even think about using one for brewing gear. Hmmmmmm

Have you looked at any toolboxes at home depot? I was looking at them the other day for other storage ideas buy didn't even think about using one for brewing gear. Hmmmmmm

The actual toolbox I've seen had one big defect : the plastic ones emitted some chemical smell as if the plastic curing process wasn't complete. That was enough to convince me they weren't food grade. Even if they don't have direct contact with the mash, I don't want them holding stuff that will go in the mash.

The metal tool boxes are automatically eliminated since they rust and are heavier then needed.

I remember seeing lightweight plastic handbox (with a carry handle) made for sewing supplies. I liked the numerous compartments and I'm still looking for a supersized version about 27" on the diagonal (for the paddles).

Wow Revvy! That's an awesome storage solution!! I am definitely going to copy you on that. All my stuff is just thrown everywhere, but that would solve a lot of issues. Great idea!!

I keep most of my small stuff in a Stanley folding organizer:

014266R_mid_res.jpg

014266R_mid_res.jpg

Long stuff goes in a large toolbox along with extra minerals, hoses etc.

I got buckets and kettles and stuff spread all over. They really need a proper home hung up somewhere...

Latest posts

Back