Sanke Keg vs. PolarWare pot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmickey

Reaction score
I considered buying a Polarware 10 gallon pot. I recently acquired 2 Sanke Kegs though and am considering just using one of these as my main brew kettle. Is there any drawbacks to trying to do 5 gallon batches in a Sanke Keg? I plan on putting a Weld-B-Gone Deluxe + kettle conversion valve/spigot in the Keg if i'm using that, prob a temp gauge too.

Thanks...

there is no problem using a sanke keg to boil 5 gal. batches. Polarware is a good quality pot but if you have the kegs, save your money and use them instead. Besides that, you need a 15gal keg to brew future 10gal. batches.
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1

I considered buying a Polarware 10 gallon pot. I recently acquired 2 Sanke Kegs though and am considering just using one of these as my main brew kettle. Is there any drawbacks to trying to do 5 gallon batches in a Sanke Keg? I plan on putting a Weld-B-Gone Deluxe + kettle conversion valve/spigot in the Keg if i'm using that, prob a temp gauge too.

Thanks...

I've been using a 10 gallon Polarware kettle w/FB for my MT and a converted keg for the BK for a number of years. There's no problem using a Sanke keg for five gallon batches. I'm planning to buy a fifteen gallon Polarware kettle in the near future. I want the larger capacity mash tun for 10 gallon high gravity batches. I'm currently limited to a max of about 1.065 gravity for ten gallon batches, maybe a little higher. I like the kettle better than the keg mostly because it's a lot lighter and much easier to handle and clean. I also prefer the Polarware FB over anything I have seen used in a converted keg.

it cost me less than $60 to buy a Sanke and convert it to a boil Kettle with ball valve and siphon tube. I think the PolarWare is in the $200 range.......

Sanke will definatley do 5g batches, and will even do a 10g batch if you want to. I have been doing 10g batches, and splitting them with a friend.

Thanks Ark, that gave me a great idea. We may eventually do 10 gallon batches and split it with my buddy as well!

Back