Sake brewing kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliciajoy

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a sake brewing kit for my boyfriend for his birthday. I got the idea when I stumbled across this kit (Leeners). Before buying it, though, I figured I should shop around, since the kit is $40, and I have no idea if that's a good price or not.

I found this kit for $27.50 and this one for $24.95 (I know it's out of stock, but his birthday's still over a month away).

Now, I have no problem buying the more expensive one if it's a better quality or whatever, but if the others are just as good, obviously I'll choose the cheapest.

Considering I know virtually nothing about brewing, I was wondering if any of you had some advice? Thanks!

Never made sake before, but you might find some useful info here: How to Make Sake at Home - a Taylor-Made Guide (New & Improved!) BTW, that guy is on this site too from time to time. You might search this site using the word "sake" to see if the kits have been discussed here. Hope you find some of this info useful. Regards, GF.

EDIT: If your BF is already into brewing/winemaking, he likely has any equipment required already. I'd think the only things he'd really need would be the spores & maybe some specialty rice; all of which can be had for much less than $40. A good book on sake making would be a handy thing to have tho. Regards, GF.

This fall I was planning to try sake making.

My plan was to try to procure some yeast from Sho Chiku Bai in Berkeley CA, just a few miles north of me.

I make a pilgrimage their 3 times a year for my sake needs... they know me by name.. time to attempt to cash in :)

if that fails... both Wyeast and White Labs have yeast available. :mug:
kits are available from Leeners as well.

Back