Flavoring cheese with wine, whiskey, etc, how long??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonemarrow

Reaction score
How long would I expect to soak a wheel if I wanted to try to flavor it with a liquid?? I have seen a video on a port wine cheese soaked in barrels for months. Does it really just depend on how much flavor I want? Any experiences in doing this??

How long would I expect to soak a wheel if I wanted to try to flavor it with a liquid?? I have seen a video on a port wine cheese soaked in barrels for months. Does it really just depend on how much flavor I want? Any experiences in doing this??

Funny you should ask. I'm was going to make a Cabra al Vino this weekend. The cheese is soaked in red wine for 24 hrs. It's really for the color more than the flavor. Cheese has so much fat in it, it doesn't absorb flavors once it's formed. If you want a particular flavor in a cheese, I suggest getting the flavor into milk before the curds are formed.

Or, form a solid curd mass, cut the mass into chunks, soak the chunks in your flavoring, then reform into a cheese again. That's what I'm doing tomorrow instead of the cabra al vino.

Cabra al Vino (not my pic):
6.jpg

Here's what it looks like if you cut the curds, soak, then reform:

guinness_cheese.jpg

Back