so, a multi part question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormsgetsold

Reaction score
I brewed a beer and my SWMBO and I really like it. All seems good right? It is. BUT, I thought this beer was fuqed. It was an extact with steeping grains. I did not know that some grains do not do well in a steep. Now I do. After I brewed I realized my "mistake". Here's the recipe.

2.5# 2-row
.5# crystal 10
.25 crystal 20
.25 crystal 120

5# Amber LME

Cascade .5 ounce 60; .5 ounce 45
Centennial .5 ounce 15; .5 ounce 5

Yeast: WL Cali V 051

Beersmith projected this beer at 1.049 with only 40% efficiency steeping, I got 1.040. I rinsed the grains with 170F water. about a gallon. Steeped for 45 minutes at 155F. FG 1.010

I want to recreate this beer without wasting the grain. I have moved on to AG. I am willing to brew as an extract to get the same brew.

I guess I would like to make the same brew at a higher alcohol content. Not too high, 4.6% instead of 3.9%. Is this possible? How would I make this AG?

I don't know what you mean about wasting the grain. You need grain to make beer. It looks like you did a PM with the 2-row, which is fine.

The only issue I see with making this all-grain is trying to determine what's in amber LME. Usually, you can just sub base malt for the LME but amber LME probably has crystal in it, but I don't know what kind.

I'd use marris otter for the LME, and keep the crystal you already have. It won't be the same beer, but I'd be hesitant to add any more crystal in that recpe.

If you target an OG of around 1.052 or so, you should be all set.

By wasting grain I meant that I got 10% efficiency from the 2-row and crystal.

How's this look for the grain bill?

7# maris otter
2# 2-row
.5# crystal 10
.25#crystal 20
.25 crystal 120

or should I just go 9# maris otter?

By wasting grain I meant that I got 10% efficiency from the 2-row and crystal.

How's this look for the grain bill?

7# maris otter
2# 2-row
.5# crystal 10
.25#crystal 20
.25 crystal 120

or should I just go 9# maris otter?

Unless you just have the two row, I'd go with all maris otter for the base malt.

Even if you only got 10% efficiency (probably from using too much water for the mash), you still got flavor from those grains, so it really wasn't a waste.

If you want to target an ABV of around 4.6%, you can use the 9 pounds of base malt, along with the crystal. If you get an efficiency of around 70%, that should be about right.

You may want to use some brewing software to adjust the hopping for a slightly higher ABV.

I see, thanks Yoop. I didn't even think about the hops. 9# maris it is then. Quick question, I have never used maris otter, what would the difference be if I used 2-row?

Maris Otter is a two row malt, and it is considered a "premium" variety. Besides the price, I don't really know how much difference you'll see by using it over "regular" two row or pale malt. It's a winter variety of two row barley...

Maris Otter is preferred by home/craft brewers, and really, at the home brewing level, the price difference is negligible (unless you've got a huge system ie bbl brewing capacity). I've used pale malt and Maris Otter and I really don't have a preference, but others use it exclusively.

I see, thanks Yoop. I didn't even think about the hops. 9# maris it is then. Quick question, I have never used maris otter, what would the difference be if I used 2-row?

Maris otter is "warmer" and good for British style ales, especially browns and pale ales.

American 2-row is "grainier" tasting, and gives a more neutral taste.

I suggested MO because you're replacing amber LME which probably has some specialty grains in it. I can't even guess at what can replace it, but I think that MO can give you more depth of flavor and more interest. Besides the crystal, you don't have any other grains in the grain bill.

If you didn't do a full boil with the extract version of this beer, make sure you adjust your hopping!

Back