Old Socks and Underwear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
Just retired a pair of underwear today and I got some socks on the way out too, holes in the toes. For me it is not so much a matter of cost as it seems such a waste to throw them away as soon as they show some wear. I used to give them one last wash and then put then in a bag to keep on hand when changing oil and stuff, but now I got all these bags of old socks and underwear I never seem to use.

So how long to you hold on to them and do you make other uses for them? Seems such a waste to toss them. :(

I've got so many T-shirts and Jeans for rags, I don't see the point in reusing undies. Sock I keep until they get holes in them. underwear are just getting good when I no longer have to use the fly to get my **** out.

j/ik I usually throw them out as soon as they start getting holes too.

This reminds me of some other important questions, like: Which side do you hang on? When taking a whizz, do you go out the leg, or over the waistband?

I actually almost always use the fly nowadays, but for most of my life I was either a leg man or a waistband man.

Ask me and a fly is as useful as nipples on a bull. Not only do I usually go up and over, but if I gain a pound or two the fly gapes open and Im stuck tucking the Colonel away multiple times throughout the day after he escapes.

I'm a boxer man, so I suggested SWMBO make a quilt out of the fallen. Her scowl and sharp "NO!" leads me to believe she's still coming around...

My old dog used to like to chew holes in the heels of my dirty socks. Maybe it's the same situation?

Of course she also liked to eat cat poop.

I tend to get holes in either side of the crotch in my boxer briefs. Once that happens or the elastic has given out, they go to the rag bag.

Socks wear out in the heel and toe and I will not wear holey socks, for long. Quitter socks are even worse. Rags or dog toys.

Over the waist band unless I'm wearing pants or shorts with a fly. And I'll tell you something else you may not want to know, balls out most the time.

Well I work hard and deserve a reward so I am getting new socks and underwear!!!! That will keep me happy for at least a month I'm thinkin'.

Ever help one of your buddies work on his car and you ask for a rag and he hands you a pair of his old underwear? :confused:

Old socks make great dusting rags, dog toys & dessicant sacks. Old underwear is great for anything that requires a soft rag: a lot of cleaning patches are made from the same fabric as underwear, just cut 'em to the correct size.
Regards. GF.

I use old socks for hop bags and if I want that skanky taste I don't wash them.
I am fat enough to do small BIABs in my old underwear.

*sarcasm*
Throw them away already!!!

By the time I'm done with my underwear, there's not enough left to make a decent dust cloth!

Oh, and, over the top.

Can't believe I'm joining this thread...I keep them as long as possible. I can almost promise you I have underwear older than two of my kids (12 & 7). I usually get new boxers and/or socks at Christmas time. That's it. I just never think about buying new when the old ones are still wearable. It's actually kind of a joke around my house with the wife when I'm wearing an old pair of boxers and both balls are hangin out of holes. I'm not sure she likes it as much as I do, but it's still funny.

And my dick isn't big enough to come out of the leg, so I'm gonna say fly or over the top! :)

My wife harps on me about my socks all the time because I will basically wear them until several of my toes are gaping out. The underwear for some reason goes missing (?) and I end up buying new packs once every couple of years to replace lost comrades. However, the old pairs that I do still have in the drawer have been around for many years at this point. Holes don' tbother me.

Also, t-shirts...I always get a hole in the exact same spot on my t-shirt, about 2-3 inches to the left of my belly button. I have NO IDEA how that happens, but it's been true for 20+ years.

I have some pairs of boxers from High School that I still wear, much to SWMBO's chagrin.

One looks like swiss cheese, but it's so damn comfy!

DUDE
Walter, I'm sure there's a reason
you brought your dirty undies--

WALTER
Thaaaat's right, Dude. The weight.
The ringer can't look empty.

I have some pairs of boxers from High School that I still wear, much to SWMBO's chagrin.

One looks like swiss cheese, but it's so damn comfy!

Those are ventholes and battlescars. It's the ventholes that cool down the area on hot days. Duh.... :rockin:

I can't say I have any from HS at this point (~18yrs ago) but I do have various other clothes items from around that time that I wear occasionally. I do have a bunch of socks that I wear regularly that are around 12 years old though although about 60% of them have acquired holes and gotten thrown out (I buy socks in spurts and will buy 5-6 mega-packs at a time ;) ). I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that and my trend of never ever panic'ing are the reasons my wife married me... That is to say to steal my socks which she does repeatedly. :confused:

That said, I've never been much of a fan of using underwear for rags when working on things. I personally prefer old t-shirts. That's pretty much how you can tell which ones I really liked cause the other ones get taken out of the mix and ragged up and the others can last a decade and a half+.

ryanmbeal said:
DUDE
Walter, I'm sure there's a reason
you brought your dirty undies--

WALTER
Thaaaat's right, Dude. The weight.
The ringer can't look empty.

Win

You are supposed to put the holey underpants on, and then tell the wife/gf, "if you don't like them, then just go ahead and rip them off of me!" :ban:

Man, what an appropriate time to use the dancing banana......

reminds me of the mini-batch I brewed to test my tap water

feetandassmild resize2.jpg

as for the topic at hand, worn out socks & skivvies go in the trash

Back