Wyeast activator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErieShores

Reaction score
So, I purchased a Wyeast Activator packet for #3522 Belgian Ardennes and I remember reading somewhere that I could make a few of my own packets for future use. I'm not sure what this is even called so I apoligize in advance for not searching even though there is probably 50 topics on this matter. I do remember it had something to do with adding DME in a sanitized bottle an placing an airlock on top. I just can't see spening $7 on yeast every time I make a batch when yeast propigates itself. Thanks.

There's a few ways to grow/reuse it I suppose.

Boiling DME in a flask or putting it in a sanitized container and growing yeast in a "yeast starter" is one way to propagate. Most people make these to achieve proper pitching amount and pitch the whole thing into a batch of beer, though you could split the yeast into multiple starters... I'd think think it'd be hard to know precisely how much yeast you're splitting off though.

There's also two sticky threads at the top of the yeast forum.... one is how to wash yeast after you fermented a batch so that you can reuse it. The other is how to put yeast on slants for long term storage and how to grow/step it up for reuse.

Back