Think I might have messed up a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I made a chocolate porter beer about a week ago. The kit came with some bakers chocolate to add into the boil. The directions stated to melt in a double boiler first then add into the wort. During the melting I also added in some toll house semi sweet chocolate chips.

After doing some more reading I think this may have been a mistake as bakers chocolate has the fat taken out of it and chocolate chips do not. After boilling I put it into the carboy. Its been about 2 weeks now and there is a layer of stuff floating on the top of the carboy. It doesnt look like a kreusen or an infection.

Im thinking that this may be the dissolved fat in the chocolate chips that has now floated to the surface. Im not really sure how to proceed here. Do I leave it in primary for another week or two? Or do I rack to a secondary bucket(instead of carboy) and try to skim off the stuff on the top. Then let it go a few more weekes in secondary?

Do I leave it in primary for another week or two?

I don't know very much. But, IMO, No.

Or do I rack to a secondary bucket(instead of carboy) and try to skim off the stuff on the top. Then let it go a few more weekes in secondary?

I would defenitely move it to secondary being careful not to let the fatty substance get sucked up by the racking cane.

I think this is the best route because if that is fat then it will never settle out since it is lighter than the wort.

I have had to get floating films off of some wines before and I simply racked from the bottom of the primary and as the film got low and close to the intake of the racking cane, I stopped. You may lose a bit of brew, but you should also leave the film behind.

Just a suggestion, other may have better methods available.

Good Luck.

Salute! :mug:

Latest posts

Back