Espresso!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just won a fleaBay auction for a Gaggia Classic. I had finally told myself I would settle for a Gaggia Coffee de luxe and be fine with that for around $200, but then suddenly a Gaggia Classic pops up for a mere $50 more.

Anyway, I had a couple of steam "espresso" machines since high school and they were never all that great except that they made strong coffee. I've been, sadly, without an espresso machine of any type for about 2 years now and I can stand it no longer. I'm looking forward to getting this baby and putting her through her paces...

Any other espresso/coffee fanatics out there?

I don't necessarily consider myself a fanatic, but have had an espresso machine continuously since the mid 1990's. Nothing fancy like you bought, but I'd like to get a good one someday. My biggest frustration with the current one is that it takes forever to steam a picture of milk. I usually make mochas or lattes for the SWMBO and myself on the weekends and sometimes during the week. It's way cheaper than the local drive-thru's.

Personally, I love my sugar with some Espresso. But after a couple double shots, I just get a sugar rush coupled with a headache.

Used to keep a machine around but still found myself buying it prepared. After it crapped out I jsut decided to not replace it. My father works in coffee and used to bring me pounds of fresh beans of espresso roast.

Good times.

McK- sounds like you need a double boiler such as the Gaggia Baby Twin or an ExpoBar. Expobars look awesome. But they are spendy. Ever try foaming the milk with a french press? Just heat up the milk, pour it in, and work the french press vigorously up and down for about a minute. It makes the most incredible foam and is really quite simple. It's my answer to needing a large amount of milk for a group of people. You can buy a french press for about $15 to try it out and, btw, you can also use it to make microfoamed hot cocoa which is just amazing!

Gila- no caffeine buzz for you even?

As for me, I now have the trifecta. I have the espresso machine for my upper, beer for my downer, and a pound and a half of pipe tobacco for my relaxer. Not a bad combination, I tell ya! :cross:

McK- I just got the Gaggia in the mail today, set her up, and gave her a whirl....

I've gotta say, it works better than I expected. I have continuous steam within about 2 minutes and it'll froth up two lattes in about a minute a piece. I need a pitcher though.

Having always had the "steam toys", it's great to now know the joys of switches and knobs. I hit the switch, I have steam. I turn off the switch, I have hot water, I hit the other switch and I start my shot of espresso. I can heat the boiler, forget about it for twenty minutes, come back, hit the switch, and pour myself a shot.

Very handy!!!

Sounds cool. Although I am far from being a coffee snob (and I mean that in a nice way), I always strive for that perfect creamy espresso shot. (That sounded a bit pronographic).

Cool deal. Thank God you spelled it correctly. What show was it, maybe Lost? where I the guy ordered 'Expresso'. GRRRRR :D I have researched lower priced machines and really the two key elements are proper infusion temperature and pressure. Anything that delivers 190°F to 204°F and at least 9 bar should be pretty good.

Cool deal. Thank God you spelled it correctly. What show was it, maybe Lost? where I the guy ordered 'Expresso'. GRRRRR :D I have researched lower priced machines and really the two key elements are proper infusion temperature and pressure. Anything that delivers 190°F to 204°F and at least 9 bar should be pretty good.

Indeed. You can find a lot of decent espresso machines for under $200. Two of them, the Gaggia Espresso or Coffee; and the Saeco Aroma are really great deals, can be found in reasonable condition for under $150 if you shop around.

Having always had the "steam toys", it's great to now know the joys of switches and knobs. I hit the switch, I have steam. I turn off the switch, I have hot water, I hit the other switch and I start my shot of espresso. I can heat the boiler, forget about it for twenty minutes, come back, hit the switch, and pour myself a shot.

Congrats on the upgrade! Those steam driven machines are a joke, they produce the most awful, burnt coffee. You can't go wrong with a nice Gaggia! Have you got a nice heavy tamper? I use this aluminum one, which is a perfect fit for the Gaggia basket. I find it really helps produce a perfect, consistent pull.

I've got the Coffee De Luxe, it's my third machine and by far the best I've owned. Solidly built, heats up fast, and makes amazingly consistent espresso with great crema. It's starts my day off on a good note, every morning of my life.
smiley_drinkcoffee.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Orfy, that looks like a stereo, coffee pot, and oven all wrapped into one. Is that really what I am seeing?

So I just won a fleaBay auction for a Gaggia Classic. I had finally told myself I would settle for a Gaggia Coffee de luxe and be fine with that for around $200, but then suddenly a Gaggia Classic pops up for a mere $50 more.

Anyway, I had a couple of steam "espresso" machines since high school and they were never all that great except that they made strong coffee. I've been, sadly, without an espresso machine of any type for about 2 years now and I can stand it no longer. I'm looking forward to getting this baby and putting her through her paces...

Any other espresso/coffee fanatics out there?

I have the same machine:rockin:

Back