moving up to 10 gall AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Haven't posted in awhile as my 3 kids keep me busy but they're playing well right now and I have a need for some info. I've searched and read the pertinent posts but figured a summary post would be valuable to more folks than just myself given the interest I've seen.

So, I have a ghetto 5 gallon AG setup:
7.5 gal cheap kettle
turkey cooker propane burner
25' chiller
5 gall cooler MLT with phalse bottom
2 cornies
6 and 5 gal carboys

I want to up to 10 gallon keeping the budget low.

I'd like a keggle but have no 'connections' or 'skilz with welding stainless' but realize I at least need a bigger kettle and MLT.

I like the cooler MLT and will prolly just replace with larger cooler/bottom.

$300 bucks for 15 gallon brewpot seems high, maybe finding keggle is worth it?

I plan on splitting fermentation between 2 carboys so will by 2 more (unless you have better ideas?)

I really get a lot from these fora (forums?) and appreciate your help/opinions/ideas/share time.

Oh, on a side note - I just moved and have an extra fridge set up in my garage so I can just go 15 feet and get a cold draught. No more adventures through the earthen basement!!!!!

Again, extra special props to HBT for helping me answer all my ghetto brewery questions and for the continuing education!

MM

I just bought a 20 gallon pot so I could do 10 gallon or 15 gallon batches.

I did a google search and came up with Instawares.com. A 60 quart pot was somewhere around $50 and a 80 quart was $90 shipped.

thanks, rich, that's a lot less than the megapots/similar (obviously). What about lifting the ~100 lbs if not drilled or will you just siphon?

mm

i checked and $90 pot is aluminum which raises another question. I currently have aluminum pot and used one step and of course oxidized the al turning it black. I still use it and don't think it has an effect but I also have nearly burned through the bottom. I'm guessing stainless is the way to go. Instawares has the 80 qt ss for $220.

I got my 25 gallon SS kettle for under $200 shipped. I'll try to find the link to the eBay'er I got it from.

7674-Rub-a-dub-dub.jpg

I recently moved up to ten gallon batches too.
I have a converted keg for a boil pot and also one for the MT.
The keg is just big enough for a ten gallon batch. You will most likely be boiling 12 or 13 gallons which does not leave much extra cushion. Also your burner may be a little borderline for that much liquid.
The bottom line is I wish I had bought a 25 gallon brew pot in the first place and I just ordered a banjo burner to kick up the boil.
Don't settle for "that will probably do" you will be glad you didn't in the long run.
Darrell

The base looks nice and sturdy, but that burner only puts out 55k BTU. Is that sufficient for 10 gallon batches?

I just picked up a 20 gallon brewpot (converted medical oxygen tank), and am in the market for a new burner and stand because my turkey fryer isn't going to cut it...

The Banjo burner (Bayou Classic KAB4) costs a bit more, but provides 4x the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jester369 said:
I got my 25 gallon SS kettle for under $200 shipped. I'll try to find the link to the eBay'er I got it from.

7674-Rub-a-dub-dub.jpg

That's a whopper!! Cute kids, too, BTW, made for a cute photo!

Latest posts

Back