Best way to store equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neohistory

Reaction score
So here is the space I have: I have a decently sized closet and I'm a guy so I have quite a bit of space after doing cleaning of it, as the new hobby of brewing is making me crazy with anticipation and all these great ideas. So I'm building up a collection of bottles while I wait for my 1st beer to bottle (bottling day next week) and I'm starting to realize I need to organize things.

So, experienced brewers, what do you do? I was thinking of some cheap shelf thing to put in the closet to store bottles, or maybe some boxes to put the bottles in and store on the shelf along with brew pot, etc etc. Any ideas would be great apart from the obvious of what I've stated I guess.

I'd measure it out with your equipment. Kettle, carboys, etc. Then Build shelf system as needed dark is good for fermenting!

I use one of my coat closest as a fermenting chamber so I keep my buckets in there along with starsan, a few spray bottles, jars for yeast rinsing, ingredient kits and my hydrometer and wine thief.

I keep pretty much everything else in a big plastic bin that has a snapping lid. Obviously my 10 gallon kettle, burner and wort chiller I just keep out in my basement...too big for the bin.

I am in the process of cleaning my basement and garage. I plan on having a few shelves for my equipment. I'll still keep things in snapping bins to keep as much crap off them as possible. Basements and garages always kick up a lot of dirt and dust.

I have dorm drawers my fiance had used in her dorm a few years back and keep my smalls in there. My brew pot, BIAB strainer from my turkey fryer, and wort chiller I keep on top of my drawers. I share my closet and have plenty of room. The bottles I stack boxes with my bottles next to my drawers. Takes up very little floor space, and fits in the back of my skinny, deep closet.

I store my bottles in milk crates which are stackable. The turkey fryer goes back into the original box with all of its parts upon which is my strainer which holds the funnel, thermometer and other small bits. I have a box of all of the little odds and ends, clips, screws, stuff on the filing cabinet ... and not one piece of excess junk on the kegerator coffin box.

Brent

I have a large old printer stand next to my computer hutch that is now my fermenter stand & storage unit. My brewing stuff,& un-recycled bottle collection was all over the first floor. Momma got perturbed,to say the least. So,I moved the printer to the spot on the hutch where it should've been to start with. This freed up the printer stand for my bottling bucket,2 FV's,& bottle tree on top. shelves for tubing,spray bottles,scale,measuring cups/spoons,chemicals & diluted solutions. BK,& bottles of diluted PBW & star-san underneath.
Then there's a space between that & the wall where my 12 pack boxes of recycled clean bottles are neatly stacked. I have a pick in my gallery,but it's already out dated. My son also helps save those new style,sturdy boxes from Magic Hat,Leinenkugle's (only one with separators), Great Lakes,& Dundee.
Gotta get a new pic to show how little space a few hundred bottles can take. Not to mention,how much brewing stuff that old printer stand can hold.
Might be a good subject for another episode of my brewvision series?...

I have my first videos I posted on my youtube channel in my profile as well. I need more lighting,& a better on camera demeanor. But it is informative. I just need to get some more light & shoot more episodes.
They can either be viewed here,or on youtube on unionrdr's channel. Of course,searching for them under how to & style on youtube should work too. I just started making them for the beginner/ameture looking for answers or ideas.
Some things may get more advanced as I come up with ideas on how to present them.

I see some mention milk crates, and I think that would be a good way to store them; however I'm not sure where to get them?

Plus you either have to cover them,or put them in a dark place to keep from skunking them. That's why I use craft beer 12 pack boxes. They're sturdier than BMC cartons. & they keep the light off the boxes,& stack compactly.

Well I ment strictly for empty bottle storage, but being a newb I completely forgot about the conditioning phase. So your suggestion seems like a good idea unionrdr. I've been trying different craft beers lately, trying to expand my palate so I'll start saving those.

Well,I know folks that use milk crates for both full & empty. So it wasn't meant as a "douh" moment or anything. I just think using those sturdy lil 12 pack boxes is the best,most compact stacking storage medium. & no.I'm not going to try saying that 3 times fast when we crack some brews later...:D
As mentioned,the Leinenkugel's 12'r boxes are the only ones with separators. But they all work well. But the bonus for me (with a few hundred bottles already) is the Leinenkugel's are twist offs,which get tossed in the recycle can. My good pop tops then have a better home with separators.

Back