Any big difference between base malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigidogg

Reaction score
I've only done ~10 AG batches, but I'm thinking about starting to buy my base malt in bulk orders to save some cash. I am partial to saisons and other belgian brews but my LHBS doesn't carry belgian pilsner which is quite often called for in the recipes I use. Is it worth the extra cost or will domestic 2-row or pale be close enough?

Can you get a German Pilsner malt? You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Belgian beer brewed with german pils vs belgian pils without tasting them side by side. Domestic 2 row will not get you the malt flavour you need for Belgian beers.

GT

Any pilsner will substitute better than American 2-row.

Beyond that, American 2-Row would be a better choice than American pale ale malt, which is kilned a little higher and darker, 3-4 SRM instead of the 2 SRM of regular 2-row.

Another option might be Maris Otter. The lovibond can run 1.6 to 4.5 depending on who kilned it.

Back