Fuzzy white bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewswellwithothers

Reaction score
So I've seen these little fuzzy white bugs on my hop plants lately, turns out after some research they are known as wooly aphids. So far the numbers seem to be rather low and my plants seem to be recovering nicely from our hail storm here in GA a few weeks ago. Something is still eating my leaves even though I've treated with sevin dust and with an organic oil based spray. Not sure if its these guys but if their numbers increase then I'll have to figure something out. Just for general spread of knowledge I've posted a few pics I found online so that others can know what to look for.
Wooly_aphid_nymph_7573.jpg

woolly-aphid.jpg

Hopefully this will help others identify them if they have them, and someone else will know how to deal with these guys in case they start to get bad.

One adult ladybug will eat 5,000 aphids during its lifetime(about one year)! I got a bag of 1800 ladybugs from amazon for about 6 dollars!

azamax works well for bugs like that i used it on a similar type of plant that had to stay organic

Aphids are sucking insects (Order Homoptera), and do not eat leaves. The leaf munching is from another source.

Also, I find the wooly aphids to some of the coolest species of insects that you find on plants!

Thank you for this thread! I've found 3-5 of this specific type of aphid species on my hops in the last 2 days. Smashed a couple of them & sprayed the leaves with some Ortho insecticidal soap.

Hopefully they can get a taste of the soap before we get more rain this evening...

I get them here in charleston sc. I spray my hops and tomatoes with a mix of dawn dishwashing soap and water. It keeps the bugs away. It only takes about 4 drops off dishsoap per spray bottle.

Thanks for posting. I'm 99% sure these were on my magnums. They "popped" out in the air every time you tried to touch them. I tried seven dust on them but haven't gone back to see if it did the job. My leaves were full of holes but as theredben noted, I guess these aren't eating the leaves.

Back