Strike Water Temps and Sparging Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcervin

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Thanks in advance for the advice. I am doin my first PM this weekend. I plan on mashing in a small cooler using a grain bag. The first question I have is about strike water temperatures. I have 5lbs of grain for mashing and I know temperature is lost from the grain. I plan on preheating the cooler before mashing. My question is what temp should the strike water be for 5lbs of grain in a preheated cooler? My target mashing temp is 154. The other question regards sparging. I was thinking about draining the wort from the cooler then doing a batch sparge. Maybe split the sparge water in half and do two seperate sparges? Does this sound good? Any suggestions from more experienced brewers? I also thought about making a system where I could shower the grain with the sparge water continuously and let it wash through while someone holds the bag? Once again thank you everyone for always being so helpful

All sounds great! Batch sparge, it's easier than fly without the right equipment. I also do the double batch sparge with half the water each time

My big suggestion is to buy Brewsmith...it does all the math for you and figures out your temps and water amounts, too. Best $20 you'll ever spend on beer "stuff" imo.

If you have a Smart Phone, there is an App for that. Being the first time, you are going to be answering your own questions. That is one of the things that you have to determine based on your system. Figure you are going to lose 6-9 degrees when you mash in and then determine how much temp loss you did get by checking temp after 5 minutes. That number, if you are consistent with grain amounts and pre-heating steps should be fairly consistent from brew to brew.

Have a couple of quarts of boiling water and a few ice cubes on hand to adjust on the first few. You'll be nailing your temps in no time but you need some data first.

You can use the calculator here www.greenbayrackers.com to figure your strike water temp based on ambient temp and desired mash thickness. I use it every time I brew and it is right on.

As I side note I see you're in Ft. Collins - My brother went to CSU. Go Rams!!

Good to see some other Ramfans on here. GO Rams! And also go all of the fine Fort Collins breweries...

Yeah I buy all of my supplies from hops and berries. They alway have what I need. Are you in fort Collins also?

Latest posts

Back