I just popped open the bucket to take a hydrometer reading and add dry hops....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoore

Reaction score
...to my second batch of IPA. And it smelled like baboon ass as I cracked the seal. Really disheartening. :(

I was shocked to see such a film on the top of my beer, when my first batch was pretty clean after two weeks....

24107_10150179719315553_790740552_11689689_6604169_n.jpg

I took a FG reading, and was stoked to see I hit my number at exactly 1.10....

Then, I tasted it........

.....Amazing!!! :ban:

I was sooo disappointed by my first beer, but this one, in it's early state, I can already say is a winner! :) I guess I'm learning how to do this already. ;)

Thanks for all the help!!! :)

I've had some super luck as well when using starters (doh). I open the bucket after 2 weeks and the SG at near (2 points) shy of FG to find krausen almost 1/2" thick. Sometimes I let it go another bit prior to racking; sometimes I skim the krausen with my tongue (joking) and rack to secondary. In every case, the beer has been amazing. Just today I racked a SNPA clone that I swear smells and tastes just like the real thing except maybe mine's a tad bit more bitter. Can't wait to bottle and drink this sucker! But anyways, congrats!

I made a trappist style dubbel one time that when I racked to the bottling bucket smelled like a sewer in 100 degree weather, but when it came time to drink it, it was amazing.

I've never done a bucket. Carboys since the beginning.

My kit came with a regular bucket, a bottling bucket, and a better bottle. Within 3 weeks all of them had something fermenting in them--I had to buy another bucket to rack the bottling bucket's contents into so I could bottle the other beers!

Nowadays I use buckets (not the bottling one) for primary, and carboys for the rare secondary or the less rare apfelwein.

I'm going to be drinking a random beer (hopefully homebrew) in the future and a thought "Baboon Ass" will enter my mind. Hopefully the beer does not shoot out of my nose at that point.

Congrats! :mug:

I'm just curiuos how he knows what a baboon's a$$ smells like to compare against. I'm thinking there is story there somewhere......drunk in a zoo or circus?

What yeast did you end up using for this brew. I had almost the exact same "film" on the top my be beer with using a white labs 400 wit yeast.

Back