I just made a mess of my first batch out in Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobwantbeer

Reaction score
Me and my buddy attempted to brew our first batch two nights ago. Neither of us have experience of any kind other then what we've read in the last three weeks since the idea came to us. After a certain amount of reading we both got to a point where we couldn't apply what we were reading without getting some hands on experience. I watched some instructional all grain videos online,(if anyone has links to particularly good one's that would be nice) obtained materials and ingredients, and dove right in. We decided to start all grain because that's all we're interested in brewing in the future. I'm a fan of the "**** your pants and swim" policy for almost everything. As I predicted the endeavor was mostly a disaster. First, I was given a false bottom mash/lauter tun by a homebrewing aquaintance of mine. However right before I started my mash I put to bottom in and realized it didn't fit firmly around the edges. There was room for grain to seep around the edges and clog the spout. Perhaps I should have used grain bags but from what I've read and seen on video it seemed like the grain was supposed to be dumped right in. So the mash bin got clogged so I couldn't drain anything out of it. So I had to dump it through a strainer which got messy and too much grain left the bin and entered my kettle. I sparged as best I could by holding the grain back from the spout with a spoon and ladling on the h2o. My boil seemed to go ok other than we didn't have the proper amount of water becuase it was too hard to get it out of the ****ing mash bin. I got the coagulated egg drop soup **** like I was supposed to. The wort chiller I made worked effectivley, but then everything went to hell afterwards. We had a funnel and filter on top of the carboy and were pooring through it, however we had so much **** in the kettle that it clogged. I didn't want to touch it for fear of infection so we paused, used sterile tongs to shake out the crap, which loosened the filter so when we began pooring again it popped off, allowing some crap into the carboy. That's when we said **** it we have what we have and grabbed the yeast. I read the label on the yeast and it said to remove it from the fridge 3-6 hours before use. Ours was out for about 45 seconds before it was put in. So I have about 3.5 gallons out of what should have been a 5 gallon batch presumably fermenting right now. We put the fermentation lock on at 4 am wed morning and it was bubbling slowly as of 10 pm wed night. For whatever thats worth. So if you made it through this long post and have comments I need them. I don't know nearly enough to really brew anything right now. If you're in the chicago area and want to allow me to see how you do things that would be sweet too.

Hello,

Where abouts in Chicago?
I have been brewing extract only for about a year and I just started buying some of the equipment so I can do all grain next. Sorry to hear about your troubles, although it seems like it can be overwhelming at first if you don't have everything all planned out.
What might be helpful:
There are some people that post how they do all grain homebrewing on youtube. On youtube, I did the search "all grain homebrew". In addition, NorthernBrewer.com sells an all grain homebrewing dvd that might help out.
Since there are so many things that go on with all grain brewing, it might be a good idea to watch one of those videos, and write down a step by step instruction for yourself for your next batch.
Hope this helps somewhat... maybe one of the more experienced guys can offer some better advise.
:)

Whoa! Where in Bloomingdale? I'm in Elk Grove!

EDIT:

Bob, I'm if you'd like to get together sometimes, there are a few of us who brew together from time to time. Keep active on the board and we'll post our next get together. Look for threads with SNIZZLE in the title.

(Society of Northern Illinois Zymurgy Zealots and Libation Enthusiasts)

Welcome! Sounds like you were trying to run before learning to walk!;) As Chesse said, several of us are in the Chicago area and we get together for all grain group sessions from time to time. I'm going through withdrawals b/c my equipment is in storage as I'm about to move. So, maybe it's time for another group brew so that I can at least feel like I'm brewing! You'd be welcomed to join us.

If you haven't already, take the time to read How To Brew by John Palmer. It'll be time well spent.

It sounds like you guys were still able to make beer, albeit, nit as much as you'd hoped. Still, 3.5 gallons is better then none at all!

Rhoobarb said:
Welcome! Sounds like you were trying to run before learning to walk!;) As Chesse said, several of us are in the Chicago area and we get together for all grain group sessions from time to time. I'm going through withdrawals b/c my equipment is in storage as I'm about to move. So, maybe it's time for another group brew so that I can at least feel like I'm brewing! You'd be welcomed to join us.

If you haven't already, take the time to read How To Brew by John Palmer. It'll be time well spent.

It sounds like you guys were still able to make beer, albeit, nit as much as you'd hoped. Still, 3.5 gallons is better then none at all!

You can always use booth's equipment and teach him how to brew with it. Split a 10 gallon batch.

thank you all for responding so quickly. I'd be stoked to observe some people who actually know what they're doing. My partner in crime and I are neighbors in Elmhurst and I'm sure he would be down as well. I'll keep an eye out to see when you guys get together and hopefully I can get out of work. Thanks for the enthusiasm.

bobwantbeer said:
thank you all for responding so quickly. I'd be stoked to observe some people who actually know what they're doing. My partner in crime and I are neighbors in Elmhurst and I'm sure he would be down as well. I'll keep an eye out to see when you guys get together and hopefully I can get out of work. Thanks for the enthusiasm.

You didn't happen to get your grain milled at Lunar Brewing on the 30th?

Welcome to the board. I would have suggested starting with extract. It's not like you won't use extract stuff with all grain and it's tougher to screw up.

As others have said, there are several of us Chicagoland area guys on the board. We're happy to help if we can

it's a small world. Well you guys were 100% right. I was putting on my fermentation lock at 4 am and it was nasty.

bobwantbeer said:
it's a small world. Well you guys were 100% right. I was putting on my fermentation lock at 4 am and it was nasty.

Tell you what, we'll probably have another get-together soon. Do you have transportation to get your gear out to the burbs? If so, bring it on out and we'll evaluate your setup and make sure your next brew comes out good. Sounds like this one may have issues.

All Grain brewing is easy, but it's a lot easier if you can watch someone do it first.

bobwantbeer said:
Are you by chance the gentleman at the bar whom I spoke to?

Gentleman? That was no gentleman. It was Cheese and me! Yeah, if you were just getting started at - what was it, 7PM? - then I'd have stocked up on No Doze!:D

Like Cheese says, next group brew we do, you should come by.

and watching people brew is what I need to do. I would definatley like my equipment evaluated, but not too much mocking please. Just let me know the when, where and what and I'll be there wearing a bell. As much advance notice as possible would be nice too, but if it's a spontaneous thing I'll pull strings. Thanks

but I experienced a beer brewing adrenaline rush that kept me up. In fact I stayed up for almost another hour after I was done cleaning just to wind down from it. It felt like speed or something. All natural though.

Back