Sake Techniques applied to Grain Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forestgrover

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Sake, I live about 5 miles from the only Sake brewery in America. I love the smooth/creamy texture and started to wonder if you could apply the same techniques with grains.

Obviously it wouldn't be "beer" in the traditional sense. I've also thought about substituting alpha amylase for Koji but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't really produce a equal example.

Thoughts? I've had a couple tonight but this seems like a worthy experiment.

Have you ever tried Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale? I think it uses sake and ale yeast and an heirloom rice variety. There are some threads here about it. Might give you some ideas.

No I haven't even heard of that. I think Great Divide makes an all rice beer as well. Thanks for the reply.

The basic premise of my question I guess is that would adding Koji to grain work?

No I haven't even heard of that. I think Great Divide makes an all rice beer as well. Thanks for the reply.

The basic premise of my question I guess is that would adding Koji to grain work?
Unmalted grain or malted grain? I'm not sure I see the point if using malted grain, the enzymes are already there. I don't know much about koji (other than the very basics of what it is and how it's used in making Sake) but I don't see why it wouldn't work on unmalted grain.

Back