IPA/APA - Give your .02 on my first custom!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artongue

Reaction score
After being on a brewing hiatus due to lack of funds (poor college student :(), I am finally nearing my anxiously awaited next brew day. With the time I've had to think about what to do, I've decided to make my first attempt at a %100 custom recipe (I usually take someone's on this site and tweak it to my liking). In preparation for the fall and football season (Go longhorns! :rockin:) I found myself craving for a nice slightly-over-hopped-pretty-much-a-modest-ipa-pale-ale. (at least modest for a hop head like me!)

I am going for a nice slightly toasty & biscuity with a hint of sweetness malt base with a smooth and mellow hop bitterness, and packed to the brim with citrus flavor and aroma.

So all ye fellow homebrewers, lend me your opinions and recommendations!

With Beersmith:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale US-05 or White Labs California ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.013 (With Cal Ale)
IBU: 82.9
Color: 7.7
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
ABV: 5.83

Mash at 152 for 60min. I have 70% efficiency

2 Row Pale: 8 lbs (66.39%)
Vienna: 2 lbs (16.6%)
Victory: 0.8 lbs (6.64%)
Honey Malt: 0.5 lbs (4.15%)
CaraPils: 0.75 lbs (6.22%)

(First Wort Hop) Cascade (Pellet) .75 oz
(First Wort Hop) Amarillo (Pellet) .75 oz
Cascade (Pellet) 0.5oz 20min
Amarillo (Pellet) .75oz 20min
Cascade (Pellet) .25oz 15min
Amarillo (Pellet) 1oz 15min
Amarillo (Pellet) 1oz 10min
Cascade (Pellet) .5oz 1min
Amarillo (Pellet) .5oz 1min

Whirlfloc 15min

Maybe, if I can afford it: Cascade (Pellet) 1oz Dry in secondary
Amarillo (Pellet) 1oz Dry in secondary

If you can't afford the dry-hops, I would cut out something in the 20-10min range and make sure that you dry-hop it with at least 1.5 oz.

Looks good. I like the honey malt in there. Maybe drop the carapils to .5lb.

I would cut the victory to .5lb(could be too biscuity along with the Vienna), take your 20 min addition and use that to dry hop (will also cut back your IBUs a touch as 80+ might be over the top), and take your 10min amarillo and add it to your 1min addition (big hop character at the end of the boil)

Personally, I like my IPAs to be over 6% abv when IBUs are high. I bet the honey and victory malt will help balance it out, but at 80+ IBUs, you may want to consider upping the alcohol a bit. Though 5.8% isn't bad, just a thought.

take your 20 minute addition to 10 mins, your 15 min addition to 5 mins, your 10 min to 1 min, and your 1 min to flameout/whirlpool. and you gotta do the dry hop.

this should emphasize big flavor and aroma.

Back