Help me make a lager or pilsner out of my ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
Gonna brew tomorrow and won't have a chance to pick anything else up beforehand. I'll be pitching on a good yeast cake of WLP800. I'd like to brew something light and crisp. Maybe like Bitberger....something SWMBO may like. NOT hoppy. Here is what I have on hand:

Light DME
.5# chocolate malt (won't need that)
.5# black patent (won't need that)
1# Vienna
1#Munich
1#Maris Otter
1# Flaked rice (would really like to use this)
Plenty of cascade and fuggles.

Something simple, light and crisp if possible. I know it's not much to go on, cut that's what I have. I'll be making a 5 gallon extract batch and now have good temp control for lagering.

Thanks

well, just use enough DME to get you close to whatever gravity you want, add the # of flaked rice, pound of munich to target gravity and you ought to have a pretty good beer. mash nice and low (148-149). i'm not sure i'd use cascade for bittering, but maybe fuggle will work. i'm sure a few late additions of cascade might be nice and citrusy. won't be anything like bitburger, but more of a light american lager with a nice cascade scent.

Light DME
.5# chocolate malt (won't need that)
.5# black patent (won't need that)
1# Vienna
1#Munich
1#Maris Otter
1# Flaked rice (would really like to use this)
Plenty of cascade and fuggles.

There ya go. Nice and simple

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 59.26 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 14.81 %
1.00 lb Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 14.81 %
0.75 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 20.1 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 3.3 IBU

How about a Schwarzbier?

I've got one that I just kegged. Looking to try something lighter (and different). I think I'll try shinglesjohn's recipe. Hopefully tomorrow, wasn't able to get to it today.

Back