Barley Crusher: o-ring on roller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
I took my instructions/maintenance sheet to work to scan in, and left it there...

What's the purpose of the large o-ring on the one roller? is that to prevent shipping damage, or is it meant to move around to keep grain from getting stuck?

in other words, do I leave it, or remove it before use?

The o-ring is there just to make both rollers move without grain being in the crusher prior to the first grain run. It serves no other purpose as far as I know. You can remove it if you want to. In fact, it'll probably break with the first or second mash. Once you have grain in the hopper, the grains passing between the rollers provide enough resistance to keep both rollers moving nicely without the o-ring.

ahhh, eddie now I understand. thanks so much. just did my first crush, and frankly I think its a little better than the last few batches the LHBS did for me...which explains my drop in efficiency.
I suspect he double mills when he has the time or inclination, but had neither on my last two orders.

Had the same problem with my BC. I tried to put another o-ring on it and that one didn't even make it through that very milling. Since then and a few rubber band attempts, I have yet to have any issues with my milling. In fact if you are using the handle try putting your drill in to the drive shaft. Works like a dream and makes the milling process that much easier and quicker.

I cut mine off assuming it was for protection during transportation, then was dismayed to see the other roller not turn (with no grains in it). However, once I loaded it up, it worked great. It's very fast with a drill.

Back