Electric HLT (easy?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Well, what do I need? I've been looking up a lot of stuff but it all seems kind of confusing. I want to start simple and make a HLT only. Is there a cheap way to do this? I think I saw a picture with someone doing it with a plastic bucket. But there was no thread on how to do it. Do I just plug and unplug the heating element for the right temp? What parts do I need to make this work. How much will it cost?

I have a 30 quart aluminum pot I could use. It's a super cheap one.

What's my parts list.
-heating element (what is a good buy?
-ball valve set up (cost?)
-

http://www.oocities.org/eseymour/brewery.html

I found this ire with what I'm talking about, but its outdated. Anyone have specification to how this works?

You might want to also search the forum for "Heat Stick" There is an unlimited amount of info for what you are looking to do. Just keep searching, its here :) I started my electric adventure searching for heastick, now I am 65% done with my take on a Kal Clone :)

Heatstick is great inexpensive option. My experience with Camco brand elements is that you don't need any bulkhead. You just need to buy the appropriate SS locknut for the inside thread, the included washer holds p just fine.
With either option, just get yourself a digital thermometer with probe and an alarm. That should alert you to the temp. My HLT is a small water heater with analog dial. The temp is never spot on, so I always shoot a little high, then leave the Mash Tun open to cool the water until it heats the right temp. Very simple.

My experience with Camco brand elements is that you don't need any bulkhead. You just need to buy the appropriate SS locknut for the inside thread, the included washer holds p just fine.

You are totally correct, originally i planned on doing this. I have the nut sitting here on my table.

I'm looking at the same thing, but what is a good option for 110v since I'm not looking to boil. Oh 5 gal batches.

My HLT has a 1300 watt element (it's on 200 volt, so it's less than that) and I find it perfect for that. It takes about 45 minutes to heat up the mash and sparge water. Perfect timing. I'd say a 1500 watt element would be all you need.

I started with two 2KW 110v heatsticks, but now have the elements mounted in my keggle HLT. Once you get the holes drilled/cut/punched, all you need is the large nut and washer. There are multiple ways to seal over the wiring, I use silicone sealant filling a PVC endcap.

Need to clean that up some day.

:mug:

Back