Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, it's kind of a funky smell though. If it IS infected tho....what do you do? Just see how it tastes and go from there? Or dump and start over?

What yeast? I agree, one day in to fermentation, that's probably not a pellicle. Guessing it's just krausen.

What yeast? I agree, one day in to fermentation, that's probably not a pellicle. Guessing it's just krausen.

Wyeast Belgian wheat smack pack. Idk. The smell is just a little bit off putting and I've never had those crazy bubbles before. So I'll let it ride and check it in a week.

Wyeast Belgian wheat smack pack. Idk. The smell is just a little bit off putting and I've never had those crazy bubbles before. So I'll let it ride and check it in a week.

First wheat yeast (was a smack pack don't remember if belgian) I used was convinced my dog was passing gas...beer turned out great.

One day in there is no way you'd have a pelicle that big. Looks half like starsan bubbles and half like active krausen.

Infections usually take a while to take hold (unless you are intentionally infecting for a lambic to speed it up)

RDWHAHB is the best advice I can give you.

How many beers have you made before this one?

One day in there is no way you'd have a pelicle that big. Looks half like starsan bubbles and half like active krausen.

Infections usually take a while to take hold (unless you are intentionally infecting for a lambic to speed it up)

RDWHAHB is the best advice I can give you.

How many beers have you made before this one?

Thanks man! This will be my fifth batch and everything before this has honestly come out perfect. I've been proud of them all! This fermentation was just freaking me out. I knew infections usually take a lot longer to build up than just a day but it was looking a little gross. Thanks for the info!

By chance is this the first time you've used a smack pack from Wyeast? I know the fermentation is quite different since the number of active cells tends to be higher than a dried pack.

By chance is this the first time you've used a smack pack from Wyeast? I know the fermentation is quite different since the number of active cells tends to be higher than a dried pack.

Yup! First time using a smack pack because my LHBS didn't have what I need so he supplemented. But maybe Uniondr is right too. I guess it depends on wether or not you're make a starter or just going in dry. So the fermentation are different from different ways of using yeast I guess

The dry packets have a higher cell count than liquid ones do. That's why liquid yeast tubes/packets usually need a starter. But dry pitched as such can loose up to 50% of that count. So that is also why it's good to rehydrate dry yeast & pitch to within 10 degrees of current wort temp.

The dry packets have a higher cell count than liquid ones do. That's why liquid yeast tubes/packets usually need a starter. But dry pitched as such can loose up to 50% of that count. So that is also why it's good to rehydrate dry yeast & pitch to within 10 degrees of current wort temp.

I've been having much better results from rehydrating the dry yeast. My routine (if anyone is interested) is to have an 8 oz. Bell or Mason jar with the opening sanitized and at room temperature (66-70°F), and I sanitize the dry packet and sizzors. Cut the packet open, pour dry yeast into open jar, seal jar and wait 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, shake and wait another 15 minutes. By then I have timed my chilled wort to be at about 66°F (I have been fermenting my ales at 66°F since I started homebrewing 19 batches ago). I use 2 buckets to oxygenate back anf forth between each other and toss the rehydrated yeast into the empty bucket, and pour the aerated wort on top of the yeast. No stirring required, no rocking a heavy 5 gallon bucket to aerate, just have to rinse and dry a bucket!

Works really well for me. Hope it helps you guys too.

Try yeast has a longer best by date. But you should still store it in the fridge when you get it

The cells can be effected by numerous variables. Heat, humidity, pressure, etc. To give it the best chance of survival, keep it cold, dry and sealed. I believe the "use by" date is a general date of 1 year from the date it was packaged and a reasonable expectation of still having viable cells to ferment beer. As time passes, the cells break down and eventually die. Obviously you would want as fresh as possible cells, but if you plan on using an older package, starters can improve the quantity of healthy cells to use on a new batch of fresh wort.

The color isn't green but curious if this is infected

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

I'd say it's just cold break and yeast. View attachment 267087

I had a chocolate stout that looked like that too as you can see. And came out just fine

thanks, hope you're right. its been almost 3 weeks in primary and still bubbling. that krausen on top doesn't look like its going anywhere any time soon. a little worried, as someone told me to dump it

That is fine. Just remember that the airlock bubbles are not really a good indication that fermentation is started/going on/complete. Especially with temperature swings. Unless the airlock is rocking, after 3 weeks it should be done or close to it. Could just be offgassing. Most of my brews are done within a week, two tops.

It is not like it will hurt the beer to sit longer, but the beer under the cottage cheese/split peas/brains looks incredibly clear from the picture. It is probably done fermenting and the stuff on top has just caught ahold of some offgassing co2 and trapped it which is keeping it afloat. Whatever is most confortable for you to do is what you should do. Test the SG, or let it ride and see if the stuff falls. It is still beer.

The thing is, I never like the taste of samples before it's carbed. I usually love it when it's done. So I don't know if tasting it would help me any.

Looks like the classic broken ice pack of a lacto infection to me. Too much head space in secondary or sitting too long in primary have gotten me that sort of thing. But not everytime. Relieving the pressure from too many suck-backs (partial vacuum) seem to cause this. The Co2 can absorb only so much o2 before the o2 is high enough to cause problems in my experiences.

The thing is, I never like the taste of samples before it's carbed. I usually love it when it's done. So I don't know if tasting it would help me any.

Okay then, at least smell it first. Smell does not always mean everything as sulfer does get let out during fermentation, but if it smells like acetone or something like that you know you might have a problem.

With tastes, you can usually at least tell if it is horrible or not. If it tastes like a sewage plant workers boot you know you have a problem.

From the pictures (esp the last one) they look like white persistent bubbles, which is bad.

Standard infection response: Assuming it tastes good, rack from under it and drink fast. Keg, don't bottle, or you risk bombs. Sanitize all equipment, tubes, etc...

Back