What can be used in place of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunsNTulips

Reaction score
I am an experimentalist when it comes to brewing. I am not a fan of high alpha acid hops, I prefer a milder flavor. Certainly things other than hops have been used in ancient history. Are any brewers using things other than hops for preservative properties? What should I experiment with?

Nothing if you want to call it beer. Google "Reinheitsgebot"

You really could try anything you want that you think might lend that tasty bitterness to beer that we all love. There are many herbs/plants/whatever out there that are bitter, some sweet, some intense, its all about the effect you might want. Get a solid recipe, then experiment.

"Reinheitsgebot"

So all Belgians, all wheats, all milk stouts, all oatmeal stouts, all ryes, all ... are not beer? In fact, anything not brewed in Bavaria, since that is where the "Reinheitsgebot" applied.

Gruit Ale existed before we had hops. For a brief history on gruit ale, some sample recipes and traditional herb lists:

ttp://www.gruitale.com/

I am thinking of a HefWizen with Lemon zest instead of Hops.
My next experiment will be a pils SMaSH with Grapefruit peel instead of hops.
And If I make it, I'll call it whatever I want.

Back