do you brew alone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same as above. I like to brew alone because i can blame only myself if something messes up. If i have people over when i'm brewing I get destracted which i cant have when i'm brewing. I have to watch it most of the time especially during the boil

I generally brew solo. If my gf is home I might ask her to hold the sparging bag in place while I pour or she'll cap bottles as I fill them on bottling day. Once in a while I have friends over but it's rare. Like others, I've had some mishaps due to socializing on brew day instead of paying attention to the task at hand. On one red ale we had a few too many during the brew and I forgot to pitch the yeast. Remebered it the next day and it came out ok but could have been a waste. I usually prefer brew day to just be "me time."

Alone. Just because I have no friends here. Very bleek my life. So I'm pretty focused on brew day.

My 11yo daughter loves to help me brew. I let her add most of the ingredients, and take temperature readings when we're chilling down. Fortunately, she loves to bottle, so that's a big help. And its all good daddy-daughter time, which is the best part.

I am surrounded by people all day at work, so I love my solo brew days. Sometimes I brew with friends or brew to learn from others or teach others, but it is rare.

I brew alone. Tried brewing with others. First time resulted in a complete infection and 5 gallons of Sour Dunkel@sswipe Ale. Still have 42 bottles if anyone would like a taste. Been aging now for over a year or two! The other time was a lot of "now what (looks at phone/clock)" and "we just wait?"..... " can't we just shorten the boil time?"and my favorite... "man I got to go" right at cleaning time. Needless to say brewing with others has literally left a sour taste in my mouth;). Plus it is way easier to drink a ton of beer when there are no witnesses! Wife will never know!

I brew exclusively with my bro in law. We always brew 2 batches simultaneously and split the batches & cost. He drew me into this - my favorite new obsessive addiction/hobby. Ironically, almost immediately, I'm the one scheduling all brew days and planning everything pretty much from start to finish. (I sometimes wonder if he wishes he didn't get me that starter kit for xmas a couple years ago.). So far, all the operations have taken place at his house. I've thought about bringing all of our equipment to my house and brewing on my own, although part of the fun is our brew-day antics and fun drinking all day (& with approval from our SWMBO's). Our brew day usually starts with donuts & kolaches, and lots of beer! And we pretty much help each other keep an eye on our numbers, boil-time, etc, as we are usually pretty drunk by the yeast pitching time. I'd probably have a lot more brews in rotation of I brewed alone, but the camaraderie and overall brew-day fun just wouldn't be the same.

Back