Yeast stater at high temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paquitin

Reaction score
My yeast stir plate tends to run a bit hot after a couple of hours of constantly running. When I went to check the starter this morning the temp was at 86F. There was some condensation inside the flask. Should I throw it out and start a new one?

My yeast stir plate tends to run a bit hot after a couple of hours of constantly running. When I went to check the starter this morning the temp was at 86F. There was some condensation inside the flask. Should I throw it out and start a new one?

I don't think so. Many yeast labs culture their yeast in the 80's. All that's going to do is make the yeast throw some nasty esters into the starter wort. Just cold crash and decant before pitching. I just cut a piece of wood to go on top of the stir plate and that did a pretty good job of insulating it from the heat. Also people have used styrofoam and silicon trivets with good success.

I wouldn't toss it. If you're worried about off-flavors let it sit in the fridge overnight, and then decant and pitch the yeast slurry into your wort. I typically pitch the entire starter if it's a small volume (for me < 1.5 L)

Back