Braggot (name pending)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVBeerBaron

Reaction score
(Name pending) Braggot I made yesterday afternoon.

5 lbs honey
3 lbs amber DME
1 lb light DME
2 lbs Maris Otter malt
1/2 lb flaked wheat
1/2 lb flaked barley
1/2 lb clear belgian candy sugar
1/4 lb Dextrin Cara-pils malt

1.18 oz Cascade (leaf) for 60 minutes
1 oz Cascade (leaf) for 20 minutes

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast (1 quart starter)

Process: Filled brewpot with 6 gallons spring water. Brought water up to 145 degrees. Added crushed grain while temp was rising to 155 degree. Cut off heat at 155 degree, let grain soak for 30 minutes. Removed grain and let drip dry while bringing to a boil. While coming to a boil I added the candy sugar a little at a time. Once boil stablized, added 1st hop addition, started timer for 6o minutes. Over the next 40 minutes I slowlyyyy added the 4 lbs of DME, super slow to not interfere with the boil. After 40 minutes of boiling I cut the heat off and added honey, irish moss, yeast nutrient, and 2nd hop addition. Cut the heat back on and bring back up to a boil and boiled for 20 minutes. Cut heat off, lidded pot, and placed into an ice bath (2 water changes). Added to sanitized 6.5 gallon carboy when it reached room temp. Decanted 1 or 2 cups of starter liquid into sink (after letting it settle in frige) then dumped the rest into the carboy. Heavy fermentation began overnight.

We'll see how this turns out, I've been having some oxidation issues recently. I may use champaigne yeast in the 2ndary if the yeast fizzles out early.

update:

brewed 9/19.
primary fermentation finished last night 9/26. I will rack to a smaller glass carboy tonight.
Beer has cleared some and color has lightened up a bit.

moved to the 2ndary 9/27. Still there now, looks great. Sample tasted strongly like white wine (strong alcohol punch) with honey and very mild malt flavor. I will give this one another month or two before bottling.

I ended up kegging this. After a month in the keg it cleared up nicely. This is probably the best high gravity beer I have ever made. The only issue (a small one) is that I fermented at too high of a temp, which I think made the alcohol punch stronger. It has really smoothed out over the last few months. I can't wait to redo this. I doubt I will change the recipe at all except for the fermentation temp. The amber DME and Marris Otter really added some great flavors and the bitterness level seems right on. The yeast went from beginning to end with no problems, and the honey really helped to keep the FG down (so not overly sweet). After aging a bit I would describe it as a heavy bodied amber beer, with intense honey flavors and aroma, and a wine like alcohol strength. I unfortunately failed to take the FG and don't know the exact ABV but I would guess somewhere around 10%.

Back