Tron's Stromboli Recipe w/ Pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TronCarter

Reaction score
Prep Time (for dough): At least one day in advance.
Meal Day Prep Time: 30-45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Cool Time: 1 hour
Total Time: Eleven-teen-seventy-fourrrrr-ish-dibillion... I don't know. This, like all of my recipes, doesn't count time... it counts effort and love. Those things don't factor into Einstein's equations, but they do factor into real life.

Dough:
12.5oz Bread Flour
7.06oz 90-110 degree water
.5g Instant Dry Yeast
6.2g salt
1.5T Olive Oil

Cheese:
2oz mozarella
1oz muenster

Sauce:
For now, any pre-bottled pizza sauce that you like will do. Once I have enough confidence in my own sauce recipe, I will post it.

Toppings:
Although they don't "top" a stromboli, you get the idea, maybe it should be called "fillings". Just use what you like. Anything that contains a lot of moisture, like onions, bell pepper, mushrooms, etc should be sauteed to remove a lot of the moisture, otherwise you will have cooking problems later. Here is what I used:

Pepperoni
Turkey Ham
Onion
Bell Pepper
Mushroom
Banana Pepper
Green Olive
Crushed Red Pepper
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Black Pepper
Red Pepper
Poppy Seeds

Procedure:
My recipes assume that you either have a stand-mixer or know how to mix dough by hand.

Mix flour and salt together in mixing bowl. Dissolve yeast in water for 1 minute, stir. Add water mixture to flour mix and mix with dough hook until everything comes together. Let rest for 5 minutes. Turn mixer back on and drizzle in oil. Knead for 5 minutes, rest for 5 minutes, knead for 5 more minutes. Put dough ball into lightly oiled container and loosely cover. Let rest at room temperature for 4-5 hours. Refrigerate until ready to use (a few hours is good, several days is better).

Cut dough ball in half and place on counter. Dust the top only with flour and roll out with a rolling pin to about 1/8 inch thick. Try to get as close to a rectangle as possible.

step2.jpg

Add sauce, black and red pepper, and cheese. Leave a few inches of dough at each end, and about an inch on each side.

step3.jpg

Add any toppings you like. I recommend precooking the pepperoni to remove as much of the fat as possible and sauteing the vegetables to remove most of the water otherwise the center won't cook properly and will remain doughy. For the banana peppers and olives, I just put them in paper towel and squeezed out as much juice as I could.

step4.jpg

step5.jpg

Start at one end and roll it up like a cinnamon roll. I like to leave the seam at the top so there is less "leakage". Pinch the ends closed.

step6.jpg

step7.jpg

step9.jpg

Put the roll into a pan with side that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Brush on an egg wash and then sprinkle on kosher salt and poppy seeds. Cut a few slits for vent holes, otherwise you will get a blow out.

step10.jpg

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes and allow at least an hour to cool before slicing.

step11.jpg

step12.jpg

Back