filter trub but not yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamgram

Reaction score
I generally don't filter my beer other than to wirlpool the wort before transfering into the fermenter. With the last batch I got a little carried away, though, and siphoned a good bit of trub along with the wort, and it's now in the fermenting beer. Since I plan to carbonate in the bottle, I don't want to filter out the yeast, just the trub. I guess I could just siphon off the top and leave the trub at the bottom, but inevitable a good bit gets kicked up from the suction by the time you get to the bottom, and to leave it all behind involves wasting some beer.

I was thinking about filtering it all through a sanitized cheese cloth before bottleing. I wouldn't think this would catch any of the yeast (it dosen't coagulate that thick, does it?) but I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with filtering at this step in the process, or if anyone knows of any reason I may or may not want to do it this way.

Thanks!

You can sanitize a nylon grain bag and place it over the end of the racking hose (like I do when siphoning from a dry-hopped batch), or you can just carefully rack.

Either way, make sure that you refrigerate the bottles a good day or two before drinking, and that will help clarify them by flocculating the yeast.

Oh, by the way, welcome to homebrewtalk!

Will you not be using a secondary after fermentation? After transferring from primary to secondary, then conditioning for a few weeks, then transferring to bottling bucket you should have left the trub behind.

I have always just racked from above the trub, and never had an issue. There is still plenty of yeast in suspension, even after a LONG time in the fermenter, so you can just hold your racking cane above the trub, and rack to the bottling bucket. I've never filtered or done anything like that. Well, unless you count dryhopping with 3-4 ounces of hops. Then I used a paint straining bag over my racking cane to avoid as much hops as I could.

But other than something like that, you can just rack as normal. The trub will compact to the bottom, and not be in your way at all.

Worry not and just rack above the trub as much as possible. The trub settles in your fermenter first. Mostly cold break and spent hops. Then some of your yeast craps out and settles on top of your trub. So if you do pick up some sediment when racking it most likely just yeast so no big deal. Most people here, myself included, just use an auto siphon and avoid the sediment as much as possible.

Back