In Trub-le?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiebrew

Reaction score
Awful pun, I know.
Just brewed up my first batch last night, a partial grain english pale ale.
the boil went fine, steeped the grain bag, dissolved the powdered malt extract, tossed in my boiling hop pellets. boiled it for about 40 min than tossed in my whilflock tablet that came with it. gave it another 8 min to boil and added my aroma hops for 2 min before removing from heat.
had my carboy ready, with large funnel sticking out, everything sanitized of course, and begin ladling wort into the 3 gallons of cold water.
while stirring the wort throughout the boil, it appeared as though most everything had dissolved, but when it began to transfer it to the carboy through the strainer, there is a heavy amount of sediment build up on the strainer screen. this caused very slow and messy transfer into the carboy.
also I used a grain ban in the first step, and a hop bag for the aroma hops.
I continued to add more wort to the strainer and mix it around the screen on the strainer with a sanitized stainless steel spoon.
about the 5th ladle of wort I was adding, the screen popped off, and everything in the strainer went into the carboy.
I'm not worried about contamination but there is a ton of trub in my carboy. it all settled to the bottom over the first night, and the blow off tube is kicking out a healthy bubble every second a mere 7 hours later, with a nice kraeusen formed.
My concern is the amount of sediment. I plan on racking it into a 2nd carboy when the fermentation stops.
will I be able to get rid of most of the sediment at this step? Any suggestions on how to make sure it doesn't make it into the 2nd carboy? and will 2-3 days of initial exposure to a lot of trub throw some off tastes to my finished product?
Thanks for the help in advance everyone.

All the trub should have settled to the bottom by the end of fermentation. It's denser than the wort so it should sink. Use an auto siphon to rack the beer and just make sure that you keep the end of the siphon out of the trub/yeast while transferring.

I wouldn't worry about off flavors from trub, especially 2-3 days. I dumped my entire 5 gallon boil into my primary once when the spigot became clogged. I let it sit in the primary for almost 4 weeks with no off flavors.

It has been my experience that off flavors are caused by pitching to little yeast or not maintaining proper and consistent fermentation temperature.

the yeast storm is pretty wild to watch. theres a good amount of sediment swimming around, and some build up on the bottom. I imagine that it'll all settle over the next few days, and when I transfer it to the 2nd carboy, and then to the bottling bucket at the end of it, most of it should be gone. thanks for the help. i'm hooked.

I actually have an experiment going on that relates to this. I don't use a hop bag and usually strain going from boil pot to primary. I did two boils within a day of each other and decided to strain one and not the other. The amount of trub in one was almost identical to the other. After a week in secondary there is about 1/4" more sediment at the bottom of the non-strained batch.

So, I am starting to think that try to strain going to primary just adds a step where things can go wrong with little to no benefit. You might want to use this as your on experiment.

Trub loss is why some people do 5.5 or 6 gallon ferments. However, when dealing with a kit designed for 5 gallons this will mess up your gravity.

You will be perfectly fine just leaving it in the primary for three or four weeks. Every time you transfer beer, you loose a little. I never strain out anything and I think most people here on HBT don't secondary either.

Everything will clear and settle out with time.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'm going to get it into the 2nd carboy just for a little practice, losing a little volume doesn't concern me too much at this point.
I appreciate the input and I'll repost in a few weeks when I crack my first one open!

I haven't strained anything out of my wort. I just made an IPA which had a hop addition at then end of the boil and I thought it would be a waste to throw hops in and strain them right out, so I dumped most of the trub into the fermentor. I'm sure it will settle out later, just be careful when siphoning so you don't stir up everything that has settled to the bottom.

Back