Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah excellent, I had thought Sanderson had only written the final book for the Wheel of Time Series. He needs to get back to The Way of Kings series pronto!

I've always been a fairly avid reader, but since getting my kindle I've really upped the frequency at which I read. Lately I've been chewing through the Dresden files (up to #9) and according to goodreads I've read 10 books so far this year.

I'm DromJohn at LibraryThing
http://www.librarything.com/profile/DromJohn

Favorite authors: Anthony Burgess, J. V. Cunningham, Graham Greene, Søren Kierkegaard, Thomas McGrath, Michael Walzer, Robert Penn Warren, and Roger Zelazny.

And to me, "Gunslinger" is the spine title of Slinger by Edward Dorn, a five out 5 stars epic poem to be read aloud.

Ah excellent, I had thought Sanderson had only written the final book for the Wheel of Time Series. He needs to get back to The Way of Kings series pronto!

Yep he wrote books 12-14. I am working on 9 now in my reread. If I remember correctly it gets better again in Crossroads (book 10).

Now you all may enjoy my most recent find detective series the Kenzie and Gennaro series which some of you may have seen the fourth book of in the movie Gone Baby Gone. Well written.

I was recently sucked into the Game of Thrones books. I'm towards the end of Clash of Kings right now.

I'm also reading Brian Jacques Redwall series to my son, and I'm enjoying them as much as he is.
When I was a youngster, there was maybe 5 books in that series....now there's like 20!

Ah good old Redwall! Now that was a series that I loved when I was a kid.

Game of Thrones is tremendous as well. I definitely recommend a re-read when you're done - there are so many little details that I missed the first time through.

hopefully we don't lose him before the story is done. I hate unfinished stories.

Assuming you are talking about George RR Martin, I read on his website that he has given all his notes & rough drafts to his editing team, who apparently now have all the info that would be needed to basically finish the series for him should he pass.

There is also talk of HBO getting access to the notes in order to finish the tv series, but that is just rumor. It is apparently massively expensive to do a season, and a slump in ratings would likely end the show.

Assuming you are talking about George RR Martin, I read on his website that he has given all his notes & rough drafts to his editing team, who apparently now have all the info that would be needed to basically finish the series for him should he pass.

There is also talk of HBO getting access to the notes in order to finish the tv series, but that is just rumor. It is apparently massively expensive to do a season, and a slump in ratings would likely end the show.

It costs roughly 70M a season, 6-7M per episode, that's uhm.. $115k per minute :drunk:

GoT has a bigger budget than ROME, which is a concern as it was production costs that caused that series to be cancelled after only 2 seasons. GRRM has stated tat he's given the basic plot outlines for the series to the producers so that should he die they could finish the TV show. I have no such hope for the books.. I'm afraid if he dies before finishing the books the only conclusion we'll get will be the television interpretation.

I don't read a lot, but when I do it's usually something about history. I'm currently reading Cronkite on my Kindle. I'm about 47% of the way through, but the narrative is already up to the late '70's so I'm not sure what in the world the second half of the book plans to talk about.

Back