Fall/Early Winter Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever you like to drink of course! It's a little late for a Marzen but it would be somewhat drinkable by November if you start now. If you stick with ales, how about a nice Scotch or American Amber.

I'm thinking in those terms as well.

Wouldn't mind trying a pumpkin spice ale (prolly only do 5 gallons though) and a nice mild stout may be on the horizon.

I love the changing seasons in the Midwest.

I'm planning to do a stout of some sort, possibly a java stout and possibly an Oktoberfest type beer with an Ale yeast. I know, it's not a true Lager, Oktoberfest, but it will imbue the spirit!

Anyone have a good dry stout and sweet stout recipe? Not sure, what would make the better java stout, but I'm leaning towards a sweeter stout to counter the bitterness of the coffee.

Stouts and porter in the immediate future to replace the scottish ales and english bitters I've brewed all summer. Oh and some more of Orfy's Hobgoblin. Robust porter bottled and conditioning for this winter...

Jekster - I have a simple dry stout recipe from the Classic Styles: Stout book by Lewis. I'll post it tomorrow after I get home.

Got Trub? said:
Stouts and porter in the immediate future to replace the scottish ales and english bitters I've brewed all summer. Oh and some more of Orfy's Hobgoblin. Robust porter bottled and conditioning for this winter...

Jekster - I have a simple dry stout recipe from the Classic Styles: Stout book by Lewis. I'll post it tomorrow after I get home.

Awesome man, thanks!

I think I'm going to make a traditional dry stout to pin that recipe down then move on to adding coffee for a java stout in some future batches. Or, make a dry, then sweet stout and decide which I think can handle coffee flavors and aromas more.

I'm gonna try my hand at Hobgoblin and a Pumpkin Ale. Right now my chiller is being used so I gotta wait 2 more weeks.

I am going to make a blueberry oatmeal stout aged with some oak chips. Chaotic i know, but i cant stop thinking about it.

Jekster said:
Awesome man, thanks!

I think I'm going to make a traditional dry stout to pin that recipe down then move on to adding coffee for a java stout in some future batches. Or, make a dry, then sweet stout and decide which I think can handle coffee flavors and aromas more.

Here's that Dry Stout Recipe for 6 gallons. This is Jamil's recipe which is almost identical to the one in Lewis' book. Lewis has a higher OG of 1.056 with the IBU's upped to 55. I'm going with this one as I like to be able to hoist a few and not feel the pain. Either one looks like a good simple dry stout which would make a good jumping off point for flavoured variations.

SG: 1.042
FG: 1.012

Brewhouse Efficiency 70%

7# British Pale
1# Roast Barley
2# Flaked Barley

Mash Temp 152

39 IBU's EKG 60 minute addition only

Yeast: English Ale
Ferment mid-upper 60's

Back