Storing Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years?

I know the 'survivalists' used to stockpile grains in sealed barrels. They would put in some dry ice, and place the cap on. Wait for the dry ice to evaporate, thereby didsplacing the air with CO2. Then seal it up.

Short of that, I'd guess that kept in a sealed container to keep moisture and vermin out, a year? But what's the point? how cheeep is it?

What I recall when I was looking into it is around a year. It will start to lose its freshness and barley has a small amount of oil in it which can go rancid. The key is keeping it dry.

I'm still leaning towards buying 2-row in bulk since there is an economic advantage, but I want to get my garage squared away first. I was thinking it would be cool to store it in one of those giant dog food dispensers that has a funnel at the bottom for dispensation, but I don't believe that will be airtight enough for long-term storage.

You could always vacuum or nitrogen store grain and push it to 3-5 years storage. Both methods would halt moisture as well as bugs. Food storage places sell the valves for 5 gallon pails.

Back