West Sixth start up brewery being sued by Magic Hat parent company over logo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hillybilly said:
they had to remove the compass from their logo seems like a win for west sixth and I am guessing that magic hat lost some customers and west sixth gained

I don't know. You could consider it a win in the fact that West Sixth wasn't forced out of business, but they pretty much had to admit they blew the whole thing out of proportion as a publicity stunt/smear campaign. At least it's over.

I'm guessing that magic Hat will now be suing the "Got your 6" org. http://www.gotyour6.org/about/history/Logo is similar
got-your-6-60204.jpg

Got my own world to live through
And I ain't gonna copy you.

Now, if 6 turned up to be 9,
I don't mind, I don't mind.

White-collar conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me.
They're hoping soon my kind will drop and die,
But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high . . . HIGH!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. You could consider it a win in the fact that West Sixth wasn't forced out of business, but they pretty much had to admit they blew the whole thing out of proportion as a publicity stunt/smear campaign. At least it's over.

Yeah... seems to me it kind of vilifies West Sixth's actions. They had to publicly retract literally every statement they made and agree to a solution and never publicly talk about it again. They're lucky Magic Hat stopped where they did.

As far as gaining customers, maybe. It's a pretty scummy way to conduct yourself though.

Couldn't the same be said of Magic Hat?

No, Magic Hat has intellectual property to defend. By the letter of the law they have to defend it or else they lose that right. This is merely the cost of doing business. Business is not friendship and puppies, sometimes it doesn't make sense within a social realm.

Back