Should I secondary this, or wait it out in a the primary and keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
I have a Light Ale that is in the Fermentor. Its been there since early Friday, and by saturday it was Fermenting like crazy. The only problem is that I broke the Hydrometer while I was sanitizing it, so I never got an initial gravity reading. Im hoping to replace that tomorrow.

So now to the meat. Its now been about 80 hours since the yeast was pitched (oh and Im in so cal with no way of keeping this bad boy cool so its fermenting in 80 degree weather), and its definitley slowing down. Its releasing a bubble every 45 seconds or so, and the foam layer is all but gone.

I want to start another batch of beer, so I was thinking about tossing this one in a secondary tomorrow. I figure by then it will probably be down to 1 bubble every other minute.

What do you guys suggest.

I know its not good to brew beer in such warm weather, but hey I just spent $1200 on a keg system and parts for a kegerator (will be built this weekend). I figure I can make some good beer up front, and some great beer on the backend.

Moving to a secondary won't hurt, but I'd wait an extra day or so longer. Also it only takes a quick trip to pick up another hydrometer so you're sure.

I started brewing without an hydrometer and still had good success. Because I had no real way to measure it's progress I simply forgot about it for 7 days at which time if the krausen had diminished and the air lock was bubble no quicker than every 30 seconds I would proceed to secondary.
If you do get a hydrometer and you don't know what your OG was you can use this link http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/
it should give you an approximate of what the OG should have been.

A big bucket or a large cooler filled with water and an ice pack is what I use to keep my temps down in these warm months. Walmart sells plastic storage containers that will work and they're only $4 (just don't try to lift them when they're full).
I too live in So Cal and this set up with one Ice pack a day gets the temp down around 69F.

Gjork

Putting your effort and money into a kegerator to dispense sub-par beer seems counterintuitive to me. There are very few styles that will turn out OK fermenting at 85 degrees and a light ale isn't one of them. Sorry, it sounds harsh but you need to control those temps a bit more. If you have a cooler or rubbermaid bin, put your fermenter in there, fill the bin with cold water and drop a 2-liter bottle of ice in there. Keep another in the freezer. Change them out once in the morning and once at night for the length of the fermentation. This is a super cheap way of doing it although not as good as a temp controlled fridge.

I am pretty new to brewing but I did read a tip for keeping your primary cool.

If you take your carboy and put it in a rubbermaid as others have suggested but then drape a towel over it so that the bottom hangs in the water.

It will act like a wick and the evaporative cooling will keep your wort temps down.

Thats a great idea. I wanted to do a Hefe next, and that would be a perfect way to keep the temp down.

Back