Can I use brwers yeast from my home brew soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
I just made ginger ale, can I use the yeast from the bottom of my homebrew bottles of beer instead of the dry wine yeast? And what dry yeast is the best for home made soda: wine yeast, baking yeast or beer yeast? Thanks in advance!

I like champagne yeast for soda- it's cheap (less than $.79 at my store) and it's very neutral. I don't know about beer yeast, but I'd guess that if it was in the bottle of a beer it wouldn't be as neutral as fresh champagne yeast.

A lot of people seem to recommend Ale yeast (I use Coopers) because the fermentation slows down very well at fridge temps.

Munton's is a decent yeast for soda as well. My girlfriend used that a couple of times with success.

Thanks for your responds you guys; I ended up using dry Red Star Montrachet yeast. The idea for recycling yeast from my home brew beer came to me when chilling the ginger ale I cracked open a Brown Ale and I was thinking; hey, I have this yeast here so why do I have to use anything else? But I wasn't sure if this is the right kind of yeast and if there is enough of it in a 12 oz. bottle of home brew. Anyways, I think maybe next time I try the beer bottle yeast as an experiment and see how it turns out.

I would think the yeast left over in a bottle would be a little too much. Possible bottle bomb!. It's been a while since I naturally carbed a root beer, but I remember only needing a tiny bit of the Montrachet when I did.

Latest posts

Back