AHB, kits too expensive???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heertsy

Reaction score
Looking at getting another ingredient kit for my next batch. I have noticed AHB is on the VERY high scale of the price range for kits against MANY other online companies.

ALSO, they always make you buy seperate yeast at a pretty expensive upgrade cost. They also charge extra to include ice.

All this being said, i have noticed I am looking at a higher pricetag for MANY of the ingredient kits I would like to buy from them.

Are their kits better quality??? Do most of you buy ingredient (extract) kits from them??

It just seems when I am looking to go with my next kit, they end up being the most expensive.

Maybe their ingredient kits kick butt and I am just looking at their higher end kits which other companies don't even have???

Your thoughts??? AND i apologize upfront to AHB, they seem to be a GREAT company with representation that care, even on this board!!!

My expreince tells me that AHB is a few bucks more expensive, but usually it evens out with their cost on shipping. Compared to NB, AHB is about 4-6 dollars more expensive. But AHB has so many more kits than NB does..

It is pretty much a wash either way.. I personally think there is no differece between their kits quality, such as, south africa, and the iraq.

It is pretty much up to you... such as.

For me, when you figure in shipping (and tax since I'm in Texas) Austin is usually cheaper in the long run. Especially if you use dry yeast. I have found in my limited experience that dry yeast works fine for most beers until you get into specialty beers and big beers.

aekdbbop said:
It is pretty much a wash either way.. I personally think there is no differece between their kits quality, such as, south africa, and the iraq.

Oh that is just not nice! hahaha funny!

I think their kits are excellent and are a very reasonable price.

Each time after buying a kit from them, I have gone back and checked the price for all the individual pieces from them and they are almost identical.

They may be more expensive than the "kit in a can" deals because they include steeping grains and hops (not pre-hopped extract).

All the extra costs (yeast, ice, etc.) are there so you can actually have a choice. You will never have to pay for something you won't use. Have your own yeast saved? Great, choose the option with no yeast. Is it winter and your yeast will be nice cool on the ride? Great, choose no ice. The cost of yeast and ice is comparable to most other online stores, maybe a little more but not much.

Something to think about, I just tapped my first two kits that i brewed from them. Followed the instructions to the T, and the beer is amazing...granted they are my first two home brews, but I think they are great. I don't have that "they all taste the same" thing that many complain about from extract kits. I have no complaints about them at all... I would recommend them to anyone.

aekdbbop said:
My expreince tells me that AHB is a few bucks more expensive, but usually it evens out with their cost on shipping. Compared to NB, AHB is about 4-6 dollars more expensive. But AHB has so many more kits than NB does..

Didn't you post about NB having a shipping break right now? If that is the case, get one of their kits. They have a HUGE amount to choose from.

mario_lopez180.jpg

Knows where the US is, and the Iraq:)

You get what you pay for in everything in life. Austin Home Brew Kits may cost a couple bucks more, but then again, their kits are formulated to make great beer.

I talked with loads of folks who brewed their kits and have tasted loads of beers at LBC meetings of beers made from their kits and I've made a number of their all grain kits and every one kicks butt. Lots of them give you 3 yeasts to choose from and usually one is a dry yeast Their clone database rocks.

Their kits are assembled as ordered and grains crushed the day it is assembled. They are NOT pre-assembled and pre-crushed sitting on a shelf waiting for someone to buy them as I've seen at other Homebrew stores. Ya can't get any fresher kits than an AHS kit.

If you are tired of spending that kind of money, perhaps All Grain is in your future. I made the switch last year and am very happy with the results.

People like me, U.S. American's always like deals on shipping! :)

That being said, my last kit was a honey brown ale from NB, will know how that turned out in another week.

I have ordered two kits (an AG and a PM). Both came with more hops than needed for the recipe, so you can adjust or save them for the next batch. Very good instructions, too. They are the only 'kits' I have bought, I usually assemble on the fly at LHBS. I would definately consider them again. Their prices for AG kits are quite reasonable, as most are $4-7 cheaper than extract / partial mash. Great selection of partial mash kits - almost every variety is available in all three formats.

I really liked the AHS kits when I was using them and their clone kits are especially good. Personally, when it comes to kits, I think they are worth the extra couple of bucks.

Once you start buying ingredients a la carte it may not be as big of a quality difference between AHS and some other the other retailers, but for kits I really think they are the way to go.

Back