Welp... I made mead...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhunter87

Reaction score
5# orange blossom honey
2 gal water
Steeped a cin stick and blood orange zest
Juiced 3 blood orange
Wyeast sweet cider yeast.
OG: 1.074

I guess it will dry all the way out and I might have to backsweeten?

Any thoughts? It's my first so who knows.

I pitched about 2 hrs ago and its bubbling like mad right now!!

I guess it will dry all the way out and I might have to backsweeten?

I'd say that's up to you. My recommendation would be to let it ferment out, rack it, and let it age. Possibly at this point add some potassium sorbate or something to inhibit the yeast. Give it some time with a few tastes occasionally to see what you think but I wouldn't do anything else for a couple of months. You may like the flavor. Then, if you want it sweeter, sweeten a little at a time.

I don't know a whole lot about blood oranges, besides they look cool, but it sounds pretty good. Let it do it's thing and then post up your thoughts.

That's what I was planning I guess. I was hoping the blood oranges would give it a little red tint but it didn't. Color isn't that big of a deal though.

I'm excited for it though. In about a year itll be just right :)

The only time I've had blood orange was when I bought several bottles of Lorrina for the swingtop :)
Zesty. should be really quite good.

Which wyeast is 'sweet cider'? 4766? I'm googling, you see.

12% abv / 131 -1.076 = 0.98 (well, -0.98) which is probably pretty well attainable. I'd say you're goin dry.

That's the one. This morning it smells AHHMAZING. The whole closet smells like heaven!

Yeah I decided I'd like to try the blood instead of navel because I hear a lot of people say they just taste undertones of orange. I want it to be a secondary flavor, but pronounced enough even if you're not a crazy foodie with a complex palate, you can still taste it!

I tasted it before primary. Very sweet, but can't really taste the orange, just in the nose. I figure once the sugars get eaten up, the orange will come through.

Latest posts

Back