2009 Hop Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I was wondering when hop harvesting will begin and when we can expect to see this years hops at hopsdirect.com. Also, does anyone know if there will be an abundance this year or a shortage. Seems to me that things are vastly better for the hop industry but I'm only in my first year of brewing.

But rest assured, the high prices we all got used to in the shortage will remain!!!! Yay!!!!!

I think prices will come down. I would think most homebrew shops simply have the old stock that they had to buy at high prices themselves..... they are still stuck with a high bill and can't drop prices until they sell them.

Good question. I don't know about Yakima, WA, but down here May and June were very cool. July was sunny and hot. Typically harvest starts late August and runs through October. Maybe I'll remember to ask Dave Wills (Freshops) at the HoV party next weekend. That's assuming he shows.

As far as quantity, all the hops planted in 2008 should be at full production. But no new acreage was planted in 2009, in fact it was down 2% from 2008. That's still 30% more than 2007. None of the weather weirdness has been a show-stopper, so I suspect there will be a very good crop. No official projections on yield yet.

Back