Cheddar Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhaisten

Reaction score
Hello, I have just started cheese making. I started with a kit that has poor instructions. The cheeses made from this kit never made it to a clean break on the curds and looked like Ricotta when they went into the molds. They mostly solidified and are aging in wax now. They still seem a little soft. Should I age these longer or shorter? I have since gotten a good book on cheese making and now seem to be on the right track. I am hoping that the soft cheeses, (cheddar) will still be tasty, but want to try to age them appropriately. Any help greatly appreciated.

Michael

Chances are if they didn't start out as regular cheddar curds they aren't gonna magically turn into cheddar after aging, but hopefully they are some sort of tasty.

I get that they wont be Cheddar. My question goes to how long to age them.

For a "farmhouse" cheddar it seems to be between 1 and 2 months, for a true cheddar it's anywhere from 8 to 18 months.

Back