Worries!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BegginerBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Is this normal? I've just had a llok at my fermenter and i was greeted by the smell of bannanas when i opened the lid. What caused this and is it something to worry about? Also there is a few white floaty bits, dont think its an infection although there was these white bits on the top of my other brew and it was ok. Please help me!:(

BegginerBrewer said:
Hey guys,
Is this normal? I've just had a llok at my fermenter and i was greeted by the smell of bannanas when i opened the lid. What caused this and is it something to worry about? Also there is a few white floaty bits, dont think its an infection although there was these white bits on the top of my other brew and it was ok. Please help me!:(

Depending in what your brewing, that aroma could be perfectly normal. Some yeast strains give off a banana/clove aroma (german, Belgian, hefeweisen etc)
I wouldn't sweat it.

You could be fermenting things a little warm -- don't sweat it. Let the yeast do their job. Fermenting beer can smell like all kinds of nasty.

bigbeergeek said:
You could be fermenting things a little warm -- don't sweat it. Let the yeast do their job. Fermenting beer can smell like all kinds of nasty.

Ok cheers, its running around 21-23 degrees celcius.:mug:

I'd say that 21 C. is a bit warm and 23 C. definitely is but given time the yeast can clean up a lot of off flavors that are thrown off at these temperatures. I prefer my beer to ferment around 17 C.

Back