PSI Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbhooptie

Reaction score
So I had a stout kegged using a dual valve regulator that has 2 separate valves for each keg, was working great at 8 - 9 psi... I had to take it off CO2 for a few days while I replaced a valve on the 2nd "connection". I didnt touch the "connection" that was hooked to the carbed stout keg. I applied pressure again 3 days after I turned off all pressure. Psi was sitting around 16 now... I turned it down (turned the "screw" counter clockwise) to the point it was almost out of the regulator... I just turned it back up to see if I could gain pressure just to be sure it was working correctly... anything else I should try?

thanks

Unless you have a functional check-valve between your regulators and your kegs, there's a good chance the 16 psi you're seeing is the pressure inside the keg.

How it got that high is a whole 'nuther question. But to confirm that, make sure the regulator is dialed to zero (like just before the screw falls out ;) ) then turn off your gas tank valve, remove the gas QD from the stout keg, pop the pressure relief valve on the regulator and note that the low pressure gauge falls to zero.

Then turn on the gas tank valve. The regulator low pressure gauge should still show zero. Assuming it does, now hook up the gas QD to your stout keg. I'm betting that low pressure gauge jumps up to the same 16 psi you saw before...

Cheers!

Ahhh.. good call sir!

Yeah it dropped to 0 and as soon as I hooked it up to the keg popped right back to 16... Not sure what happened during those 3 days but what is your advice to get the pressure back down to serving level (aiming for 8 psi)?

Big thanks in advance!

All you can do is to shut off the gas, then "burp" the keg by popping its pressure relief valve. Do this frequently for a day, then pour a sample and see how its doing.

Note that you may not even have to hook up and turn on the gas to draw a few ounces to taste - if you don't pop the PRV before you draw a sample there may be enough internal pressure in the sealed keg to do that much on its own.

But if you do have to hook up the gas, make sure to set it low, and shut it back off as soon as you draw a sample, lest you prolong the time it's going to take to tame that brew.

Eventually you'll have degassed the beer down to a suitable level, and you'll be good to go. Just keep an eye on your regulator as it may have been creeping on you...

Cheers!

Back