Amount of Yeast for 25gal batch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
Here in the next few months I will be making larger batches of brew, somewhere around 25gal. So how much yeast will I need for this amount??

Do I simply take the yeast amount for my 5gal and multiply by 5??

Thanks

First off, I would recommend reading YEAST: a practical guide to beer fermentation. I think it is a great read. But in it, White and Zainasheff say that many brewers stick with a formula of 1 million cells per milliliter of wort per Plato, or pitching rate of cells equal (1 million) x (milliliters of wort) x (Plato of wort). They also said they prefer. 75mil. for ales and 1.5mil. for lagers. To be honest with you, I think this is a great guideline, but if something worked for you for 5 gallons, I don't see why you can't multiply that number. And as always, aerate adequately and you should be fine.

Wheezer said:
First off, I would recommend reading YEAST: a practical guide to beer fermentation. I think it is a great read. But in it, White and Zainasheff say that many brewers stick with a formula of 1 million cells per milliliter of wort per Plato, or pitching rate of cells equal (1 million) x (milliliters of wort) x (Plato of wort). They also said they prefer. 75mil. for ales and 1.5mil. for lagers. To be honest with you, I think this is a great guideline, but if something worked for you for 5 gallons, I don't see why you can't multiply that number. And as always, aerate adequately and you should be fine.

Good deal! I actually have that book, just haven't tackled it yet!

One thing I have also heard of brewers doing is brewing a double batch on consecutive days. Pitching enough yeast for the first batch, waiting 24 hours then dropping that 2nd batch right on top of the first.

Another option is to do a smaller batch, 5-10 gal and then pitch the whole cake into the big batch once you transfer the small batch.

Or go by the Mr. Malty calculator. Either way, 25 gal = lotta yeast.

wyzazz said:
One thing I have also heard of brewers doing is brewing a double batch on consecutive days. Pitching enough yeast for the first batch, waiting 24 hours then dropping that 2nd batch right on top of the first.

Very true. I know that some commercial brewers do this as well. Essentially you are propigating your yeast. I wouldn't recommend letting it attenuate out more than let's say, 20% before pitching more fermentables though because it may stress the yeast out and lead to off flavors.

Essentially this would be commercially for us. Brewing 25 gallons at a time

I do like the option of fermenting one batch for 24 hours then pitching on the other batch, or essentially calculating the amount needed for the batch size

Latest posts

Back