Trappist Yeast: krausen hasn't dropped in 2 weeks???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HootHootHoot

Reaction score
I'm making a homemade Belgian Tripel. The OG was measured at 1.080.

It's a test batch, about 2.5 gal, but I used the entire yeast package (so, in essence I double pitched).

The krausen was pretty dense and it started fermenting like crazy. It has settled down quite a bit, but the krausen remains about an inch thick at the top. It's been 2 weeks now, and it looks about the same as it did a week ago.

I'm unfamiliar with this yeast strain (#3787), so is this due to the yeast I am using?

I know it will take longer to ferment with a high gravity, but in the past when I've brewed a high gravity beer it was very close to being done at 2 weeks. And certainly not this kind of krausen present at this stage

Help? Ideas?

Thanks

That strain is described as a 'true top-cropping yeast.' Yeah, it'll take a while for krausen to die down. Let the hydrometer guide you, not apparent yeast activity.

That yeast, like many other belgian yeasts, tend to have long lasting krausens. Just ride it out for a few more weeks

Back