Aloha from MauiMaltMan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauiMaltMan

Reaction score
Aloha (Greetings)!

I'm MauiMaltMan. I am a college student at the University of Hawaii. I enjoy all beers, but I am affinitive towards lighter ales, and shy away from heavy bitters.

I try to brew with fruit that's regional to Hawaii. I'm looking for a signature beer (as of this post, I'm bottle priming my second attempt at a strawberry-guava wheat) that really screams HAWAII from first sip to last.

Because I'm a college student, my brew rigs are relatively simple. I stick to plastic buckets. I've tried a glass carboy, but the straps I bought to carry the carboy slipped and 7 lbs of glass and 5 gallons of beer spilled all over my kitchen, hallway, and halfway into my living room and bedroom carpets. It's simple plastic for me from now on. I'm happy with it, and I find it easier to work with.

Because I don't have a refridge that I can use to lager, I'm restricted to ales, and I usually ferment at around 78 degrees. I haven't had significant problems with this elevated temperature, but I believe that any "esters" enhance the flavor of fruit beer.

At the time of this post, I've successfully brewed 6 batches, plus the one in the broken carboy. All ales, all in plastic, and all delicious.

Greetings everyone, and Aloha!

I applaud your simple setup. Work with what you have. Own it.

Welcome to HBT!

If you haven't already checked it out, definitely go to How to Brew - By John Palmer

Also check out our Wiki

When it comes to equipment, check out our DIY section....lots of cool stuff.

Don't forget to use the search function as well.

And if you decide to become a paying member, the ******** awaits you.;)

Latest posts

Back