Long overdue mead..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phooka

Large Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is going to sound silly. I made a batch of mead last march, then about august I moved it to a secondary to age a bit. It wound up in the back of the closet, and I COMPLETELY forgot about it until last week when I discovered it. It doesn't look too bad, but there may be some moldy something starting on the top. The remainder looks pretty good. The airlock still had a little vodka in it, but not much. Any hopes here or should I just dump it??

:confused:

dale

Don't dump it without at least smelling it. There's likely nothing at all wrong with it. If it smells good and is otherwise clear then taste a little. It should be fine and if it tastes ok there's nothing wrong with it. If the stuff floating on top looks like white flecks or foam then that's common and it isn't mold. Just rack the mead out from under it.

DON'T DUMP THAT MEAD!

The best thing to do with mead is forget it. chances are it isn't mold either. It could be some scum from the lees that has floated to the top.
VERY carefully rack to another carboy, let it clear again and then bottle....I know people...and there are some on this board that will age in a carboy for well over a year, sometimes even 2.

That mead is likely just getting good. I agree with BigKahuna, lots of folks don't bottle until it's been sitting for at least a year.

if there's mold, rack away from it if you can. don't toss unless it tastes terrible...there's still hope even with the possible mold.

It was definitely mold, only a couple of small 1/4" to 1/2" patches floating on the top. I racked off into new carboy after a thorough starsan session with the receiving carboy. It was very very clear with a slightest tinge of yellow. Smelled wonderful. I didn't taste. I have lots of patience :)

Thanks.

Back