First AG Self/Peer Evaluation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutra2418

Reaction score
Did my first AG yesterday.

The good: mash ph was right on @ 5.2, I hit my mash temp on the button and stayed there for the whole mash, My homemade mash tun didnt clog! Airlock bubbling happily 10 hours after pitching.

The bad: Brewed outside in teens temps. Regulator on propane froze up and i couldnt get good psi...had to switch to stove top.

The ugly: 57% effeciency...boo! I only mashed for 60 as opposed to the reccomended 75min on the recipe. My OG came up wayyyy short so i had to boil off and add some table sugar. Only wound up with 4 out of 5 gallons.

My question to you all: Was the short mash likely the cause for the low gravity? My crush was good, even borderline shredded. I can upload pics of the tun and gravity numbers if you wish!

Recipe:
6lbs two row pale
2lbs flaked rice
8oz carapils
8oz caramel/crystal malt 40L

Did my first AG yesterday.

The good: mash ph was right on @ 5.2, I hit my mash temp on the button and stayed there for the whole mash, My homemade mash tun didnt clog! Airlock bubbling happily 10 hours after pitching.

The bad: Brewed outside in teens temps. Regulator on propane froze up and i couldnt get good psi...had to switch to stove top.

The ugly: 57% effeciency...boo! I only mashed for 60 as opposed to the reccomended 75min on the recipe. My OG came up wayyyy short so i had to boil off and add some table sugar. Only wound up with 4 out of 5 gallons.

My question to you all: Was the short mash likely the cause for the low gravity? My crush was good, even borderline shredded. I can upload pics of the tun and gravity numbers if you wish!

Recipe:
6lbs two row pale
2lbs flaked rice
8oz carapils
8oz caramel/crystal malt 40L

No, you probably converted just fine in 60 minutes. The poor efficiency could have been caused by a lack of sparge water, especially if you only ended up with 5 gallons! How much did you mash with, and how much did you sparge with?

Mashed with 11 1/4 qts as per beersmiths orders. Collected about 2 gallons. When empty my tun cant get at a half gallon of water. I then sparged to hit 5 gallons. Didnt disturb the grain bed when sparging. Just poured the runnoff on foil. Took a gravity reading and was under so i left about a half gallon or so in the mash tun. Figured the more i ran the more diluted it would get :-/

In that cold weather you should have ended up with a pre boil volume of 7-7.5 gallons. I did my first all grain yesterday. I had a 7.5 pre boil volume and did a 90 min boil because of pilsner malt. Ended up with 5.75 gallons after boil, 5.5 after chilling and transferred exactly 5 gallons into the fermenter. I actually got a slightly higher gravity than expected.

Yooper is right. You needed more sparge water. You should also stir in your sparge water vigorously and let it sit for 10 mins. Than recirculate and collect the runnings when clear. 2 equal and separate sparges with hot water (180-185) and a good stir will get you a much better efficiency. A lot of your sugars were most likely left behind in your grains.

flabyboy said:
In that cold weather you should have ended up with a pre boil volume of 7-7.5 gallons. I did my first all grain yesterday. I had a 7.5 pre boil volume and did a 90 min boil because of pilsner malt. Ended up with 5.75 gallons after boil, 5.5 after chilling and transferred exactly 5 gallons into the fermenter. I actually got a slightly higher gravity than expected.

Yooper is right. You needed more sparge water. You should also stir in your sparge water vigorously and let it sit for 10 mins. Than recirculate and collect the runnings when clear. 2 equal and separate sparges with hot water (180-185) and a good stir will get you a much better efficiency. A lot of your sugars were most likely left behind in your grains.

Thanks! Just curious. What were your gravities? Pre boil and OG.

Back