High gas prices = hypermiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looky what I dug up :cross:

I turned mid 40s into near constant low 50s on my motorcycle by coasting with the clutch in while shifting into lower gears as my speed reduced in light traffic*, not taking off like John Force from traffic lights and keeping my speed 60-70 on 60mph highways.

None of this d-bag snail driving or dangerous engine off or coasting in neutral baloney.

*driving my usual commute at my usual time, knowing how the traffic lights work, what the normal traffic pattern is and being in light traffic are key here. As said, don't be an ass or a danger for the sake of a few ounces of gas. Drive as conditions warrant.

I'll probably burn in eco-hell, but...No. My car is way to fun car to be "hypermiling" (Audi RS4). Besides, since it's a new car it's current value is pretty much freefalling - a saved gallon here and there is marginal at best (economically, that is...).

So, at the end of the day I just think "f**k it" and floor it at least a couple of times a week...

H

Ah, a fellow Audi enthusiast!!! I used to have an S4 (2004), but got rid of it because I went from a 15 mile commute to a 2 mile commute, and couldn't enjoy it any more. When I lived further away, it wasn't a good day unless I hit 100mph at one point (usually on the exit ramp) during the trip.

I traded it in on a 2008 A4 Avant, but I still "drive it like I stole it". I fill up once or twice a month, depending on how much weekend driving I do, and really don't care about mileage.

And before any self-appointed green freaks get their knickers in a twist (like a former co-worker who lectured me about owning a 12 mpg car, yet he drove 60 miles each way on his commute), I more than make up for it by never using the heat in my townhouse-- haven't had to turn it on yet in the six years I've lived here.

don't be an ass or a danger for the sake of a few ounces of gas. Drive as conditions warrant.

This. Driving 15 MPH under the flow of traffic is just as dangerous, if not more so, than driving 15 MPH above the flow of traffic.

If you really want to learn how to save gas, get yourself a ScanGuage-type device and get some hard data on what really works and what doesn't for you. Everybody's gonna be a little different based on terrain, drive time, and vehicle.

A few years later, return to high priced gas, return to hypermiling. Some aspects are ok.

Driving too slow creates problems and is dangerous - don't do it.

Don't "draft" me! I hate tailgaters and will slow down if I am getting "drafted".

A question - I am driving in the slow lane, going faster than the speed limit or as fast as the car ahead of me. I am getting tailgated. -- Why is it 80% of the time that it is a woman tailgating me? Do women lack spatial perception.

And of those 80% it seems that 80% of them have Massachusetts plates!!
And they are usually talking on a cellphone or putting on makeup!

Back