What type of hops are these???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don't take this as a definitive answer as I only have 1 year of experience growing hops. Those look very similar in shape to the brewer's gold I planted this year. If you get no other responses, try looking up the aroma attributes online and compare them to what you have (split the hop in half long ways and smell). Like I said, I'm not saying they are brewer's gold, just that they look very similar in overall shape and petal shape to the ones that grew from the rhizome I planted.

Welcome to the suck! :)

You can't really tell by looking, other than to maybe (maybe!) cross compare to others that you have in hand.

Short of actually paying to have an analysis done, you are pretty much guessing all the way to the brew house.

You, and, like as not, about half the guys and gals here, including me, started out here trying to answer the exact same question!

TeeJo

I can see the fence in your picture, but... what is the surrounding ? It can be a very old variety from the beginning of 1900. Or wild hops. Don't assume that they are one of those "modern" variety.

Have fun in your quest ! :)

If your local homebrew store sales open bag hops? Meaning they will sale 1 oz. or many, or anything in between. Take them there and compare the smells. The smell is more of a give away than the look. Good luck and brew away!

Latest posts

Back