I wish I hadn't discovered homebrewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudentBrewer

Reaction score
....for another two years or so.

This dang hobby is so addicting! I am a doctoral student and needless to say I am expected to study about 25 hours out of 24. Ever since last September I have been completely obsessed, and I find my mind wandering towards brewing pretty frequently while studying. I also find myself brewing as an excuse to not study anymore (even when I'm nowhere near out of brew). Blasted homebrewing! :D

I'm in the middle of a week full of exams, so I guess I'm just venting. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm not in school but I find myself thinking about brewing a lot at work. I've caught myself many times thinking "I'd rather be brewing",The problem I have is between brews there is nothing to do so I end up surfing the web and looking at HomeBrewTalk.com. a lot. Oh wait... that isn't a problem! :mug:
I think I must have been a brewmeister in a previous life.

Join the club and welcome to the greatest patience tester and addictive mind force on the planet :mug: Learning to control the addiction ends up being "how can I justify it" and even if you try to walk away I believe it will haunt you forever. This is a good thing, though, because it is a very fullfilling obsession even if brewing the beer is slightly more addictive than drinking the beer. Sound like what you're going thru? I am dying to go back to work in a month because homebrewing does tend to draw the brainwaves away from anything relevant or important in life and I find myself staring at a softly bubbling airlock at 11:00 at night... Good luck and HAPPY BREWING! :fro:

I'm not sure I see a problem. I usually get my guys going on whatever the daily project is, and spend about the other 90% of my mental energy thinking about brewing. No harm in that.

When I was doing my degrees, I spent more time playing chess than working. We all have our faults. It's the sign of a busy mind. :)

WhatsOnTap said:
I find myself staring at a softly bubbling airlock at 11:00 at night... Good luck and HAPPY BREWING! :fro:

It is quite hypnotic isnt' it.. I just finished my first brew and found that it got much worse` near the end. I kept coming back to it, just waiting for that next bubble to pop. It all about the expectation....

I have about 15 gallons of beer bottled in the closet, I have 10 gallons in secondary's ready to bottle soon and no empty bottles, I have not yet took the kegging step and I have 10 pounds of crushed grain ready to go....LOL

I am studying to be a physical therapist.

Seriously though, I don't really see this hobby as hindering my studies. It just forces me to use study time efficiently. Plus, after a difficult exam, I always get rewarded with a homebrew whether I did well or not. :mug:

Since I'm closing in on basic training I decided to quit my job and spend pretty much all day everyday getting in shape physically and mentally. Then I found homebrewing and I spend most of the day thinking about what I want to brew, or how i could have done the last one differently. I even sped up a workout so I could hit the homebrew store a couple times. O well, I justify it by telling myself I'm not gonna have too much time to brew for the next couple years. :drunk:

Sasquatch said:
When I was doing my degrees, I spent more time playing chess than working. We all have our faults. It's the sign of a busy mind. :)
They told me it was the sign of ADD. :confused:

I'm so screwed... I spend my work day actually doing SOME work on my computer... But not nearly as much as I check here and see what everyone's talking about, shopping for equipment and supplies... and then after I get some batches under the belt, I'll be looking for ways of doing it better, newer recipes...

I may be screwed, but what a way to go... :rockin:

:mug: Ize

(and no, boss I did NOT post this....)

StudentBrewer said:

This dang hobby is so addicting! I am a doctoral student and needless to say I am expected to study about 25 hours out of 24. Ever since last September I have been completely obsessed, and I find my mind wandering towards brewing pretty frequently while studying. I also find myself brewing as an excuse to not study anymore (even when I'm nowhere near out of brew). Blasted homebrewing! :D

I'm in the middle of a week full of exams, so I guess I'm just venting. Anyone else have this problem?

LOL :D I brewed the entire way through my doctoral program . . . kept me sane. You'll get through it fine! :mug: :tank:

sonvolt said:
LOL :D I brewed the entire way through my doctoral program
Either this hobby is filthy with Ph.D's, or we've been infested with a whole school of fishermen...I haven't quite figured out which it is yet. :D

sonvolt said:
LOL :D I brewed the entire way through my doctoral program . . . kept me sane. You'll get through it fine! :mug: :tank:

Just got done with finals. Spring break woohoo! You know what that means...I can do all the brewing stuff I can handle for the next 10 days or so. :rockin:

I have a thesis to do here . . . I have to admit that I spend a disproportionate amount of time on figuring out what's going to go in my next brew considering the little matter of the thesis is all I need to get done to have my MA now - no more classes.

Terrible, isn't it? ;)

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

StudentBrewer said:
Ever since last September I have been completely obsessed, and I find my mind wandering towards brewing pretty frequently while studying.

Come on, man. You just need to exercise a little self discipline. You need to put away the books and research papers and concentrate on what's really important...

...beer. Right? :)

The other Sunday I was in the middle of a sermon when I started to think about brewing...

If I wasn't obsessed would I be writing to a bunch of stranger on some internet chat line?

Gawd I love brewing.

Nowhere near the doctorate level, but I am going for my Master's right now on top of a very demanding job, and I can proudly say that I have used brewing as a procrastination medium often!

StudentBrewer said:
I am studying to be a physical therapist.

SWMBO is a PT. You guys do a lot of hard work, good luck to you!

I find myself thinking about brewing all day at work as life in the Help Desk has gotten extremely boring. Now people at work are asking me questions about how my brews are going so it becomes much easier to get distracted! I don't mind, it is a nice conversation starter.

I'm an M.D., and work in a level one trauma center ER. I find myself thinking about brewing constantly while taking care of patients. I come home and do nothing but devise recipes for future batches. I'm supposed to be preparing a grand rounds presentation for our ER residents, but when I start working on it, I easily divert my research for my topic into looking up brewing stuff. This hobby has turned into a complete obsession. Its one of the few hobbies you can do any time of the year, any time of day, and either inside or outside. :mug:

Whitay said:
Since I'm closing in on basic training I decided to quit my job and spend pretty much all day everyday getting in shape physically and mentally. Then I found homebrewing and I spend most of the day thinking about what I want to brew, or how i could have done the last one differently. I even sped up a workout so I could hit the homebrew store a couple times. O well, I justify it by telling myself I'm not gonna have too much time to brew for the next couple years. :drunk:

What Branch? I'm closing in on Retirement 24 years of Service I'm done....., 146 Days to Terminal leave...

StudentBrewer said:

Don't feel bad-- I spent 7 years of college drinking beer. At least you're doing something constructive by brewing it yourself. :drunk:

Another doctoral student checking in. So far I've just made the one batch, but that's more a roommate problem than anything else (they won't keep a steady temperature in the apartment). One more month and I'm moving out, though.

When I first started in October, I spent way too much time on homebrewing. Studying? What's that? No, I'll look up different hops types online instead. :drunk:

Hey DBF, you need to come up to Kingwood some weekend day and we'll do a dual brew...you can stow your fermenter in my closet. While you're here you can sell my butthead son on the benefits of being an owl. :)

El Pistolero said:
Hey DBF, you need to come up to Kingwood some weekend day and we'll do a dual brew...you can stow your fermenter in my closet. While you're here you can sell my butthead son on the benefits of being an owl. :)

Sweet, that would be fun!

Not sure I'd be the best example of why someone should come to Rice, though. :drunk: Valhalla isn't a good enough reason? 75-cent beer?

budbo said:
What Branch? I'm closing in on Retirement 24 years of Service I'm done....., 146 Days to Terminal leave...
Congratulations on retiring. I'm retired AF, having retired last October and not regretting it for one minute. I did 20 years and two days and couldn't wait to retire.

budbo said:

no termainal leave for me, i'm just getting out, my ets day is the 8th of april and i'm counting the days until take-off!!!!!!!!!

You guys are what I needed, I thought perhaps it would take some form of therapy to straighten me out. You see I was convinced I was the only one who discovered Homebrewing, and then put my life (seemingly ) on hold.
I too think of nothing but homebrewing.
The one thing it has done however is it helps with the everyday stress. I just go into the fantasy world of brewing and forget about all my troubles. Then when I get home I hoist one of my latest creations and I'm invincible.
But since reading this thread I no longer feel guilty about it...........Thanks I needed that

You have no idea how many Home brew sites the Government networks block.. this one included :mad: I am intimately familiar with all the ones I can get to at work, and spend much more time than I should there researching Hops, grains, and thinking about what equipment my wife won't let me buy, and what my next batch will be.

I might have to take back ever creating this thread....

I started off the night with a few Lagunitas IPAs, mmmmm.... Then my roomate convinced me to drink some Keystone Lights. :mad: blehhhhhh!

Thanks god for home brewing. I cannot stand such crappy flavorless "beers". I'm gonna go crack one of my IPAs so I can go to bed with a good taste in my mouth.

Biermann said:
I'm an M.D., and work in a level one trauma center ER. I find myself thinking about brewing constantly while taking care of patients. I come home and do nothing but devise recipes for future batches. I'm supposed to be preparing a grand rounds presentation for our ER residents, but when I start working on it, I easily divert my research for my topic into looking up brewing stuff. This hobby has turned into a complete obsession. Its one of the few hobbies you can do any time of the year, any time of day, and either inside or outside. :mug:

Gawd now that's frightening. I gotta remember not to get hurt at work or I'm in trouble........:cross:

Of course just kiddin Doc..yours is one of the most stressful jobs out there and I can't think of many better ways to relieve it. :mug:

Indeed it is a great stress relief. I also like to go to the shooting range and kill a few targets, but you can only do that on certain days. You can do something related to brewing just about any time, anywhere.
:) :)

Back